sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

If its just out of fov  I would suggest checking everything again, being just out can be down to positional or time data input error. I once put in the wrong date, talk abut pulling your hair out trying to understand why the goto is off. There is a great app Syscaninit that automatically gives you the correct data in the correct format.

• Like 1
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am trying to track down where I got this tip. I think it was on a US website dedicated to Celestron Goto's. When doing the align make sure you approach the object to get it in the centre of the

Final movement when aligning is in my Celestron scopes manuals, and i followed it a bit when i started out, but i think it has minimal impact based on my own experiences, but others may have a differe

I start the night with all this enthusiasm and I feel deflated by the end, but I'll try again tonight! i took a photo of Jupiter last night (only holding my iPhone up to the eyepiece). Don't laug

Posted Images

Power supply  can be an issue.  Internal batteries don't last long, mains power has to be correct lead. Best option dedicated battery pack.

I had the same issue with my goto. Had to do a firmware update and now every time I  align once finished I have to re align with the last star for it to goto and track successfully. 

I shall post the process I have to go through here if your still having problems, just need to write it down as I do it tonight.

Nige.

• Like 1

This might be a long shot but I've got a Celestron Goto and one thing I noticed with mine is if there was too a long delay between the first alignment star and the second then the alignment was off by quite a bit, so you need to be quick going from the first alignment star to the second, also if the scope's not properly polar aligned then the alignment will be off by a bit

Edited by cosmological
1 hour ago, cosmological said:

This might be a long shot but I've got a Celestron Goto and one thing I noticed with mine is if there was too a long delay between the first alignment star and the second then the alignment was off by quite a bit, so you need to be quick going from the first alignment star to the second, also if the scope's not properly polar aligned then the alignment will be off by a bit

Thanks for that information. My scope doesn't need to be polar aligned but I was a bit slow going from one star to the next.

Pete.

I have the Skywatcher star discovery synscan goto. I had the same problem, done a 2 star alignment after correct data had been typed in. The mount would always find 2nd star spot on, then choose my target and goto. Only mount would be out by a fair bit, 

I did a firmware update,  altitude  appeared on the setup,  I have to type in the alt now as well as the normal position, time etc.

Still the mount missed the object. 

Now I 2 star align the scope and goto an object which will miss most of the time, not always though. Then press escape to go back to setup. Scroll through setup until you get to SYNC. ENCODER. Press enter and choose from the 2 stars available,  which will be your alignment stars, press enter and scope will slew to that star or near by, center the star and press enter. Hopefully you will be aligned and tracking well. 

This works for me. You might not need to firmware update though.

I hope this works for you, I know how frustrating it is to have a goto that doesn't goto.

Best of luck

Nige.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

One thing I used rather than swapping eyepieces is use my 25mm (Skywatcher 127 F/11). Use 2 star, find the first star and steadily de-focus until large bright disk in eyepiece almost fills the view - its then easy to find the centre position rather than having a very small dot in the middle of a black circle. Then re-focus before moving to next star and do the same again.

This assumes that as the star goes out of focus it doesn't shift from centre just gets bigger. Being a Mat-Cas I cant imagine there being any offset from being out of focus but I don't know for a Newt where 2nd mirror is at 45Deg.

I'm new to this so somebody tell me if that's the wrong thing to do...