Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help needed to accurately polar align + I think my EQ2 mount might be a bit inaccurate

Hi everyone,

I need help and advice on two things please if possible.

My telescope is a SkyWatcher 130M with an EQ2 mount.

1. Aligning with Polaris, given my location in London, UK, my virtical dial should be circa 51.5 but apparently 52 is fine (sorry about the virtical economy dial bit ?). However, when aligning with Polaris, I seem to have to get up to around 56. I've seen on the net that some people also have this issue, in a few cases it's  the dial is dodgy, in some other it's because the EQ mount isn't level. I must say I've only used a freebie iPhone spirit level app so that could be why? Also someone said it could be because the dial is set based on sea level. Is this something to be concerned about or is everything cool once aligned with Polaris?

2. How do I more accurately align in simple easy laymans newbie terms ??

My telescope can't accept a Polar Scope sadly, so is the drift method my only hope? If so, an someone explain in basic terms how to do this, preferably in London, or UK so can tell me exactly what I should point at.

Cloudy night so doing prep work ?.

Many thanks all!

Paul

Archived