Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter 11th February - comparison of RGB and colour imaging with an ADC

astroman001

Hi all,

I now have the ZWO ADC (atmospheric dispersion corrector) and I have to say it is really easy to use especially with the latest beta Firecapture software which has an ADC set-up feature. I am impressed.

Attached are two images of Jupiter from the morning of 11th February, both taken with the ADC set for the colour cam. Seeing was good with slight flag waviness maybe 3-4.

One image at 0031 taken using the ZWO ASI120MM + RGB filters giving an RRGB image to extract best detail. 12 mins de-rotated covering RRR + GG + BB  40% frames used

The other at 0052 was taken with the colour ZWO ASI224MC with UV/IR cut filter. 4 mins de-rotated split into 3 avi  40% frames used

I have to say that there is little to choose between the two images which says a lot for the 224MC colour camera which is easier to capture and process with. It may have even been better if I had taken 12 mins of data rather than just 4 mins.

Lots of activity in the SEB

Best regards

Peter

Jupiter 2016-02-11-0031-PE2.jpg

Jupiter 2016-02-11-0052-PE2.jpg

Interesting comparison Peter. Although the RGB image is slightly more detailed there is a X3 exposure time. I would imagine that had you have done this with the 224 it may have even come out better. I did some 10 minute captures with the 224 on the same night but have been too busy to process yet. Be interesting to compare the sets. Well done. Fine captures!

Regards Harvey

• 2 months later...

Hi Peter,

I see that you say the latest beta Firecapture has an ADC setup feature.  Just downloaded latest version and can't find it. Presumably this feature isn't yet in the release version? Or am I missing something?

Thanks

Colin

Colin

First you have to have a colour camera or it will not show up.  Second, it should be on the left of the video preview window just below the de-bayer button. If not look on the menus for it and add it to that top page.

regards

Peter

Hi Peter,

I have the ASI120MC-S which it has correctly identified though it thinks it has a 2.0 USB port when it is a 3.0.  But still can't find the ADC anywhere.  When you refer to the menus where would that be - General, Layouts...?

Thanks

Colin

I downloaded the latest versions, both 32bit and 64bit.  They are 2.5.04.  Looks like they have dropped that feature.  Did it really work for you?

Used the ADC last night and managed to align the colours in Firecapture.  But as I always manage to make every mistake possible - I think/hope I learn a lot that way! - the end result was a very, very grainy, highly coloured image. Totally useless.  Worse, I had tried to clean the camera filter to remove the dust spots and seem to have collected even more on the camera sensor so that even the non-ADC images needa lot of spot healing.

Archived