Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skyshed Pod - opinions?

lukebl

I must admit I disagree with the level of difficulty in converting a standard shed into an roll off roof obsy.  A little bracing is required but it is no where near as difficult nor extensive as may be first imagined.  I successfully converted a garden summerhouse to a roll off obsy. It's been standing now for almost 2 years and having been subject to a fair few storms in that time  - I think its doing pretty well.:happy8:  My motivation was kind of similar to your thinking Luke, I have a small garden and I didn't want a normal "shed" looking shed dominating the garden.  I chose an octagonal summerhouse -  was originally considering modding it to a rotating roof with slit much like a dome, but in the end I went for the more straightforward roll off roof construction.  Most of my bracing is actually in the roof -  being an octagonal design, the extra bracing is to to stop the roof from spreading out.  It runs on metal rails and is easily pushed off by hand.  This summer I'm going to anchor the uprights to the concrete pad it stands on, and that will be me finished. The anchoring is not because it's a converted shed, simply just because of the high gusting wind we potentially get here in Scotland - I'd do the same with a built from first principles obsy. My advice would be to go for it, the curved shed you posted would be easily converted imho.  If you are going to do it, check out your chosen shed first in person though to give you an idea of potential options for sliding the roof.

Edited:  Oh and an absolutely level concrete base will pay dividends during the build - how to I know - doh!

Jim

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I've decided to go for the roll-away 'sentry-box' solution. That way, I'll have an unobstructed view and can adapt an existing shed.

How to avoid it just looking like a boring shed? By getting one of these, of course. Seriously, it's on order. The best thing is that it'll be bigger on the inside!

$_57.JPG

Instead of worrying about my equipment being nicked, I'll be more worried about someone taking a fancy to the obs itself.

A friend of mine had a Pod .... and it leaked....and it obscured the zenith.....and it looked like the biggest child's garden plaything that you can imagine.  It also didn't offer his kit much in the way of protection against wind and dew. He's sold it now but I also have doubts as to the life expectancy.

Having seen this Pod in action several times - I saved up to got a Pulsar (well, alright - I asked SWMBO for a bigger budget)....and love it. In fact I've just given mine its spring spruce up - washed and polished it looks as good as new despite being four years old.

2016-03-17 12.12.42.jpg

I am rather surprised your friends leaked - mine never has, even in this winters apocalyptic rain.

It also gives good wind protection - OK, if the wind is coming from the direction you want to image, you're stuffed, but then so are you in any observatory.

It's a bit of a nuisance losing the zenith, but there aren't many objects that get over an altitude of 80 degrees.

The POD has been stable and unconcerned by some extremely strong winds, more than can be said for a couple of slit domes I've had experience with, which were damaged (in one case, the slit cover removed) by some severe gales.

The big advantage to me is I can leave it imaging for a good 3 hours plus and forget about it, no slit to look after.

• 1 year later...

Mine has always leaked.  But I discovered why last year.  One of the gaskets had lifted.  I put some sealant into the gap and hey presto!  

680475dd3f77017e3f3261105318a18d.620x0_q

Now I am not saying it is leak free, but compared to what i had before, I rarely have anything in the bucket to empty.  

Yippee!

Carole 

On 2/21/2016 at 05:58, Pan Euro said:

The lid is a two person job but not that hard to do. 2 hours is possible but only if you rush it. You also need to buy the Lexel sealant it really is the only sealer that works.

it is best to phone Altair Asro.

Not the only sealer that works sikaflex marine is works too. The dome pieces are easily assembled on your own also placing them on the wall isn't very difficult by yourself.  

The main thing that I don't like about domes and in the end the thing that tipped it for me was that they scream: I HAVE STUFF WORTH LOTS OF CASH INSIDE ME! 

This one seems a poor compromise in my opinion, but cheaper than a full dome.... 

• 4 months later...

At least you have been able to order and assemble a Pod. I have found it impossible to even try and purchase a new one.  Setting up and getting good alignment takes a while.  I have written on a number of occasions, and get e-mails from Wayne Parker promising a delivery next month, since August.  I like the idea of a pod because it is both a temporary and permanent structure.  Does anyone know of a way, not that Altair Astro are no longer stocking them, of trying to push things along?

On 17/03/2016 at 18:00, Steve 1962 said:

A friend of mine had a Pod .... and it leaked....and it obscured the zenith.....and it looked like the biggest child's garden plaything that you can imagine.  It also didn't offer his kit much in the way of protection against wind and dew. He's sold it now but I also have doubts as to the life expectancy.

Having seen this Pod in action several times - I saved up to got a Pulsar (well, alright - I asked SWMBO for a bigger budget)....and love it. In fact I've just given mine its spring spruce up - washed and polished it looks as good as new despite being four years old.

2016-03-17 12.12.42.jpg

That’s a beaut. Next time I think I’ll do a bit overtime at work and buy one of those.  I love that. 

Archived