Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep28_banner.thumb.jpg.b94278254f44dd38f3f7ee896fe45525.jpg

glennbech

Russian Tal reflectors from around 1995

They turn up on ebay uk pretty often too.

One on there at the minute £40 starting price usually go for about £70 I think ( could be wrong).

Never used one but various reports seem to say they are pretty basic but usable scopes

.p.s. The 25 mm ep ( if included ) and if it is the same as the one packaged with the Tal 100 frac is very nice indeed.

Edited by glynnlondon
  • Like 1

I've got one. It was the first decent telescope I owned. Solid as a rock, very good optics. These older TAL-1's do not use 1.25" eyepieces though, theirs are metric. The 25mm plossl is lovely with good eye relief.

• Like 1

I've got a 15yo one. It's great.

The Tal 1's are, along with the Tal Alcor(65mm Newt), the original 2 scopes made & built by Tal. If you get one with a build date of about 2009 or later, it 'should' have the updated 31.75mm focuser drawtube & accessories. There is a 'tell' when you look at the pics.

A solid scope with good optics, on a mount that works perfectly for the scope's size and weight. Be aware that of all the scopes made by Tal, this model has gone through the most changes. ie: various forms of pedestal, 2 types of EQ mount, lots of changes to the mechanics of the ota.

An often overlooked bonus is the heavy pedestal. At around 800mm high(75mm diameter), get an extension & top-plate made and hey presto, a super solid platform for whatever mount or scope you wish to stick on it. Will save a fortune from buying a H/D tripod or equivalent pedestal.

:hello:

Andy

ps: In Russia the Tal-1 is known as the Tal Mizar.

• Like 3

My first view of Jupiter was through a 6" Tal circa 1990 vintage with a blue tube. Solidly built scope they were great for our uni Astronomy society virtually indestructible though you'd definitely need a car for transportation since they weigh a ton in their wooden coffin box. 

Very agricultural in build but top quality optics for a budget option back in the day (before the Chinese got their acts together).

As others mention the focusers vary so I would check it can take regular eye pieces and if it comes with a "sun filter" chuck it in the bin!!

The Tal1 may be a little old fashioned, arguably, but is a really good scope where its quality optics deliver a performance somewhat better than its 110mm of aperture would suggest. The focuser, even the later one that will take 1.25" EPs has limited travel which means it will not work with all 1.25" EPs, but it does work well enough with all the Plossls I've used. The 6x30 finder that comes with OTA is also a very nice instrument with good optics and far superior to most finders that come as standard on OTAs. The mount is a great bit of kit in its own right, solidly engineered and as Andy has commented will cope with heavier OTAs than the Tal1. It works well with my Skywatcher 150P (f5). Some modification may be needed, depending on what vintage the Tal1 is, but its not a big deal to work on.

The Tal1 with mount is no lightweight and consideration has to be given to moving it around. I'm loathe to call it "agricultural" which tends to imply some rustic rough edges, but there is certainly an over engineered quality to it that you do not often see these days. A "curiosity" maybe, but a very enjoyably usable one.  

My mate took his Tal 1 apart and found a cut out round paper backing the mirror. It was part of an engineer's drawing , some Cyrillic, but refreshingly by hand. The tube we noticed was seamless 3mm thick Aluminium. I wouldn't say agricultural, more like engineered for use. I had a similar human touch with two old Vixen achros. Both had pencil marks ,to line them up ,on the side of the objectives.

Nick.

It looks very retro-1960's. Which is cool in my book. The Russian's are noted for manufacturing things that may look rough and unfinished on the outside - but with excellent craftsmanship where it counts.

Very nice!

Dave

9 hours ago, cotterless45 said:

..... had a similar human touch with two old Vixen achros. Both had pencil marks ,to line them up ,on the side of the objectives.

Nick.

I'm working on a Synta 150 F/8 at the moment Nick and that has similar lens edge markings. I think they are to be found on most objectives so the elements can remain in their original orientation. Not that the original orientation is always the best I've found ..... :icon_confused: