SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What a frustrating evening!!!

steppenwolf

One of the problems with a dome observatory is ensuring that both the imaging 'scope and the guide 'scope have a clear view through the dome aperture. The larger the imaging 'scope, the harder this is to achieve at certain orientations of the system.

My largest imaging 'scope is my Skywatcher 10" Reflector and sometime I really struggle to get an unobstructed view but I love the F5 aperture and 1200mm focal length so what to do?

A good friend of mine has a Skywatcher 8" Reflector for sale and as I know its complete life history I am tempted to buy it but he has very kindly let me have it on long-term loan to evaluate it and last night was the first opportunity I have had to try it out.

Why the frustration? IT TOOK ME CONSIDERABLY OVER AN HOUR TO FIND MY ALIGNMENT STAR AND GET IN ON THE SENSOR s6.gif Normally, I use my finder 'scope in these circumstances but, of course, I had not had a chance to collimate this with the 8" so it was useless. The next step would have been to grab a widefield eyepiece from the 'telescope room' but my Dad had come round for the evening for a meal and was sleeping in that room and I didn't want to disturb him ........ This was so frustrating that I found myself asking the usual 'astronomer's question' - why the heck do I do this s10.gif

There is a happy ending though and it was interesting to compare this image with the one taken on Friday night with the 10" Reflector but I still wonder sometimes, WHY THE HECK DO WE PUT OURSELVES THROUGH ALL THIS?:-

m27_040608_l.jpg

Thanks, Kevin, I'm really torn over this. This 8" image seems to me to have a little more 'coma' at the edges but in some ways the stars appear to be slightly crisper and well formed in the centre of the image then they are on the 10" version. I guess this is all down to collimation .......

Archived