Narrowband

Revolvers - where do we stand?

iPeace

A great thing about star-ting later in life is: (a bit) more money to spend on first setup :happy11:

So I find myself with my first scope and three pretty decent eyepieces - juggling them between vest pockets and diagonal whilst removing and replacing the protective caps on either side. I'll admit that (a big) part of this is not using a separate finder scope or RDF - yet - and just plain newbieness but I foresee much more swapping out EPs in my future (that's a good thing, right?).

Soooooo.....I'm thinking about a practical solution. I can get a tray, I suppose, or some type of specialized "hip bag" (I just avoided writing "bum", isn't that great? Er...)

Then again, there are also "eyepiece revolvers", which look pretty cool to me, but what do you think? Are they practical, or just a pain? Experiences and opinions invited.

Thanks in advance!

I thought along those lines once to me and the ep's I use the revolver too cumbersome with added weight and no reviews so I thought along the lines of a shotgun cartridge belt modified to fit ep's but know I stick too 2 inch again too heavy and cumbersome.Solution a cheap fold down table from Lidl and rest ep case on table sorted.

I think they may well be a good idea for very light eyepieces like orthoscopics but no use for any of mine except may the Plossl eyepieces. There was a very well made system some time back but it was very expensive, personally I waould buy a small case for them and change them over accordingly, a finder would be a good move.

55 minutes ago, brantuk said:

I have the waistcase thing and it works very well - just make sure you're careful when you look through the finder, the holes aren't very tight.

Thanks all!

All excellent points:

• weight
  • focuser travel
  • hip bag: tumbling EPs as one bends over to look through the scope - I can see that happening to me

Truth is, I will be needing a good case for the eyepieces, etc. The case that came with the scope is nice enough, but doesn't fit all the swiftly accumulating peripherals. Folding table to keep case at convenient height makes a lot of sense - perhaps not entirely in keeping with my "grab-n-go" approach - such as it is, for now. I sense a DIY project coming on...

On 11/02/2016 at 19:54, iPeace said:

....... there are also "eyepiece revolvers", which look pretty cool to me, but what do you think? Are they practical, or just a pain? Experiences and opinions invited.

Thanks in advance!

I prefer to keep things as simple as possible, and do not like to fiddle around with gear while sitting at the eyepiece, but I do like the turret  :wub: ( revolver) I have for my small refractor. Besides providing quick eyepiece selection, it also allows me to rotate / adjust the eyepiece to a comfortable viewing position by loosening a small knob (photo) by its base. 

Turrets work well with refractors, however, there may be physical clearance issues on larger Mak's and SCT's, where it may be difficult to get your eye in position over the eyepiece without bumping your head or resorting to uncomfortable contortions in order to view. An extension could resolve this, but then, having enough focus travel with some scopes could be an issue.

PICT0004 (Small).JPG

22 hours ago, L8-Nite said:

I prefer to keep things as simple as possible, and do not like to fiddle around with gear while sitting at the eyepiece, but I do like the turret  :wub: ( revolver) I have for my small refractor. Besides providing quick eyepiece selection, it also allows me to rotate / adjust the eyepiece to a comfortable viewing position by loosening a small knob (photo) by its base. 

Turrets work well with refractors, however, there may be physical clearance issues on larger Mak's and SCT's, where it may be difficult to get your eye in position over the eyepiece without bumping your head or resorting to uncomfortable contortions in order to view. An extension could resolve this, but then, having enough focus travel with some scopes could be an issue.

PICT0004 (Small).JPG

That looks very cool indeed...and certainly puts into perspective what a "small refractor" is... :smile:

Is this turret fully integrated with the focuser? (I've never seen anything like this before)

Thanks for this look

It is an add on accessory which takes the place of using a diagonal, or straight through viewing. It is not integrated with the focuser, which is the black knob shown on the side of the scope; it adjusts the objective lens inside the optical tube.

The scope is a 1970's / 80's vintage  63 mm  Zeiss Telementor.

PICT0002 (Small).JPG

7 hours ago, L8-Nite said:

It is an add on accessory which takes the place of using a diagonal, or straight through viewing. It is not integrated with the focuser, which is the black knob shown on the side of the scope; it adjusts the objective lens inside the optical tube.

The scope is a 1970's / 80's vintage  63 mm  Zeiss Telementor.

PICT0002 (Small).JPG

That is just too cool - and the sticky tape keeping the EPs from falling out gives the owner away as a practical soul focused on results - I approve and applaud!

4 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

I just use a foam-lined case and a red flashlight (torch) to make sure I grab the eyepiece I want. A short, lightweight bench to hold my case(s) rounds out the situation.

Dave

Ah yes, "red flashlight" must go on shopping list...

Archived