Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Dobsonian 10" on EQ6 Go to mount

Afternoon Guys,

I recently purchased a Dobsonian 10" scope (my first one) everything is brilliant with it and ive had some pretty good results in regards to what i can see and ive also had decent pictures of the moon and jupiter...

But obviously this isnt an ideal scope for astrophotography!

I am just wondering if it would be a good idea to splash out some more money on a tracking mount for me to get some decent pictures of nebulae etc... the mount i want is the EQ6 GoTo synscan any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Hiya Stu,

Funnily enough i bought this book AFTER i bought my telescope. I was a bit devastated at the fact that i didn't buy with it. Are you saying that i cant mount my scope on a EQ6? or it isnt ideal?

That is a shame :(

You can mount the dob tube on the Eq6, but it is far from ideal for AP. You would need rings and a dovetail to start (not sure how the SW dobs are mounted to their alt bearings?)

The issue with it for AP is that it's a big beast, long focal length and will act like a sail in any wind so will be tricky to guide. Not impossible, but not ideal to start learning on. Smaller scope will be well within the mount's capacity and the shorter focal length is easier to guide.

Note that I don't do AP, but if I did, I wouldn't use a 10" scope to start off with

Just now, Stu said:

That is a shame :(

You can mount the dob tube on the Eq6, but it is far from ideal for AP. You would need rings and a dovetail to start (not sure how the SW dobs are mounted to their alt bearings?)

The issue with it for AP is that it's a big beast, long focal length and will act like a sail in any wind so will be tricky to guide. Not impossible, but not ideal to start learning on. Smaller scope will be well within the mount's capacity and the shorter focal length is easier to guide.

Note that I don't do AP, but if I did, I wouldn't use a 10" scope to start off with

All of the above. It wouldn't be impossible to mount the solid tube OTA on the EQ6 with the correct rings and dovetail, probably just not an ideal combination for imaging.

Keep the existing Dobsonian for visual, for a time at least, and get an HEQ5 Pro instead of an EQ6.  Then, either an 80mm ED or apochromatic refractor, or a 130mm f/5 Newtonian, for deep-sky imaging.  In so far as the imaging Newtonian, that would be this one...

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-130p-ds-ota.html

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-heq5-pro-synscan.html

Now, doesn't that make for a lovely pair, and the combination for only £69 more than the EQ6 by itself.  In future, you can get a 200mm f/5 Newtonian for visual go-to use on the HEQ5, and after parting with the Dobsonian.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, i really appreciate it.

I think i'll keep the dobsonian for the time and i'll look into buying what Alan has mentioned.

i dont think i could part company with my first telescope, i think i'll add these ones to my collection ;)

• 1 month later...

You can also consider Video-Astrophotography. Therein you can simply attach a monitor or computer and view what the Dob is seeing almost live. The monitor replaces your eyes. And you can also load your video to a computer for further processing if you so wish. For this you can use something as simple & cheap as a webcam - modified or not - on up to specialized cams designed for this purpose alone costing well over £1000.00. And all points between.

Food for thought -

Dave

PS: I just noticed the date of the OP. Ah well - still valid. :eek::icon_mrgreen:

• 2 months later...

Now a big ole Newt isn't the best thing to image with due to being susceptible to the breeze & it will need fiddling with to get the best out of it it's certainly not impossible as seen above. An ED80 is by far the easier option but I still like imaging with my 250PX on the NEQ6 or AZ EQ6 GT.Scope mount.jpg

image with 10inch Newt.jpg

Archived