SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Aligning my Advanced VX = frustration

This is driving me nuts.

i realise that the sky isn't dark enough to do an actual 2 star alignment but I'd see if the scope was heading in the right direction so:

1). I set the tripod legs up so that it was level and the azimuth peg was 2 degrees East of Magnetic North (mag north is currently 2 deg W of True North)

2). Secure AVX head to legs and check with my inclinometer that the alt is set to 52.2deg (Daventry is 52 15 N )

3). Mount my scope to the AVX head and secure the clamps. Ensure that both RA & DEC index marks are aligned therefore in their "home" position. Check that the OTA is angled at 52.2 deg (open end of scope is pointing upward, therefore toward Polaris)

4). Add the hand controller, then the power and switch on.

5). Wait for the initialisation to finish then check that the Lat/long settings and current time is correct for Daventry. 

6). Select 2 star alignment. The first star it asks for is Vega, which, at 17:44hrs was pretty due North and just above the horizon, certainly not visible from my scope

7). Fire up Stellarium on my scope and look for stars in the South West and find Alpheratz..

8). Alpheratz not in the list of stars to choose from so Press button 7 on the hand controller, find Alpheratz and hit enter, the watch the scope slew to the south East, Not the South West where the star should be.

9). Turn the scope off, release the clutch locks and re align the RA & DEC index marks, then repeat exactly the whole process from 5 to 8, this time choosing Sheratan as the alignment star and watch the scope point to the E.S.E instead of W.S.W

Basically my scope seems to think Alpheratz, Sheratan and Hamal are all in the East (I.e. To the Left of Orion) when they are Not, they are in the West.

Can  anyone see what the heck I'm doing wrong? OR does anyone with experience with an AVX mount live close enough to Daventry to pop round, eat some Jaffa cakes and tea/coffee and make my scope behave itself?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It occurred to me that if the scope thinks everything is on the wrong side of they Sky, it probably thinks it's in the Southern Hemisphere, so I went back into the site setup and made damn sure it was 52 deg N.

guess what, that sorted it! 

I have completed a 2 star alignment and added 2 calibration stars. currently I am leaving it to track Jupiter but in the last 15 minutes Jupiter has moved from pretty much the centre of the eye piece to the top, so I think I have to perfect my alignment routine. 

I'm glad you got to the bottom of this because the AVX is a good mount. You may find that Jupiter drifts a bit if your balance is a bit out. I have also noticed this same issue even when it is balanced so maybe it's just something in the software - there was an issue with planetary alignment which they say they improved with the latest firmware release. If you are using the handset to control the scope (like me) you may find that updating the firmware helps (I did) but don't update it if you are using your laptop to control your scope as there has been an issue with it affecting the ASCOM.

Peter

Hi Peter,

I'm really glad I managed to think this out as it was driving me nuts. 

I haven't upgraded my firmware yet as I don't have a USB to serial adapter to hand. As I haven't used my laptop to control my scope, I may well get hold of an adapter and work out how to update the firmware. Do you know what the latest firmware release is and where I'd get it?

I seem to have an issue with my RA and DEC clutches, too. Even if I do them up like a gorilla on steroids, it is still too easy to move the RA and DEC settings when rotating my newts eyepiece.

10 minutes ago, BobSki said:

Hi Peter,

I'm really glad I managed to think this out as it was driving me nuts. 

I haven't upgraded my firmware yet as I don't have a USB to serial adapter to hand. As I haven't used my laptop to control my scope, I may well get hold of an adapter and work out how to update the firmware. Do you know what the latest firmware release is and where I'd get it?

I seem to have an issue with my RA and DEC clutches, too. Even if I do them up like a gorilla on steroids, it is still too easy to move the RA and DEC settings when rotating my newts eyepiece.

I think you can adjust and tighten the clutch levers via their screws.

Louise

I love my avx. Once you get alignment drill 3 dents into the patio so the legs locate into the same place every time. That way you know your alignment is always close so there is no guessing. I don't bother aligning between sessions but check with PhD guiding assistant. It is always within a fraction of a degree so I rarely need to change anything which saves valuable minutes...

1 hour ago, PeterCPC said:

The latest firmware is here http://www.celestron.com/support/knowledgebase/articles/celestron-firmware-manager-%28download%29

You will need to unzip it first before running it. There is a diagram showing how to connect your handset in the download.

Peter

Thanks Peter, that's really helpful and much appreciated

1 hour ago, jimjam11 said:

I love my avx. Once you get alignment drill 3 dents into the patio so the legs locate into the same place every time. That way you know your alignment is always close so there is no guessing. I don't bother aligning between sessions but check with PhD guiding assistant. It is always within a fraction of a degree so I rarely need to change anything which saves valuable minutes...

Drilling dents into the patio would probably result in my not being married and having to find new accommodation ?

However, I have scratched three little arrows pointing to where the leg spikes go and she doesn't seem to have noticed those yet ?

49 minutes ago, BobSki said:

Drilling dents into the patio would probably result in my not being married and having to find new accommodation ?

However, I have scratched three little arrows pointing to where the leg spikes go and she doesn't seem to have noticed those yet ?

The holes don't have to be big or particularly deep, just enough to stop the tripod feet slipping out of them. Like Jimjam I find it a real time saver!

1 hour ago, orley said:

The holes don't have to be big or particularly deep, just enough to stop the tripod feet slipping out of them. Like Jimjam I find it a real time saver!

Yes, they are dents not holes. Within a week or two they weather and look like everything else, assuming you don't have some kind of polished granite patio!

Archived