Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Stupid things we do..

Tim

Clear skies tonight, at last. Searching high and low for my observatory keys, just could not find them anywhere.

Eventually went to the observatory, where there they were hanging merrily in the door, just waiting for any passing neer-do-well to help themselves to what they wanted. I can just imagine the conversation with the insurers....

Please tell me i'm not the only one to make such a goof? :)

Tim

Not astro related, but I did spend an entire evening turning the house upside down looking for my passport the night before travelling. Right up until the early hours I thought I wasn't going. Finally I remembered the last time I had it... and... I'd put it in the top flap of my backpack... doh!

22 minutes ago, Tim said:

Clear skies tonight, at last. Searching high and low for my observatory keys, just could not find them anywhere.

Eventually went to the observatory, where there they were hanging merrily in the door, just waiting for any passing neer-do-well to help themselves to what they wanted. I can just imagine the conversation with the insurers....

Tim

Don't worry. I do that with my house frequently. The car keys are on the same key ring........

I slept an entire weekend, friday to sunday at my parents house because I had locked myself out of my apartment. Keys were gone after a night out. Or so I thought. My brother had this crazy idea late Sunday that we should check if the door was actually locked or not. The keys were on the living room table! :)

My wife often grabs my keys to drive her car to work when im working at home. Usually to complain nthat her ones have gone missing, only for me to point out they are in the passenger door. <g>

I once locked myself out of the house, and knowing of a major flaw in our security, managed to break in very easily, and without damage through the garage and the internal door into the kitchen.

Having seen how easy it was, the next day I set about making sure the garage door was properly secured so no-one could break in.

The following week, I locked myself out of the house again......... DOH! The local locksmith enjoyed the joke ??

Yes, but the most bothersome part of it all is when some good intentioned person tells me,  oh no worries, everyone does that from time to time. It begs the question, does that mean that I am not only stupid, but that I am commonly stupid?

11 hours ago, Tim said:

Tim

Hunting high & low for my car/house keys the other morning. I eventually found them still in my cars ignition, parked in the street. Fortunately no one had seen fit to drive off in it!

When I was a child, my mum has once couldn't find her keys. The told me in the kitchen. For some reason I responded by opening the door of the oven and found her keys laying in there. :icon_biggrin:

Yes, I have also come home to a door that someone forgot to lock in the morning (either me or my hubbie). Luckily we lived quite remote with a road that was not burglar-friendly (or visitor-friendly in general), so there was no immediate danger for burglary.

Now we just have a garage door that sometimes won't lock. It should lock automatically, but if it doesn't, burglars can collect quite a lot of stuff.

The most thing I have done was arriving at the wrong airport when taking a plane. No chance of getting to the right place by the time we found out. Luckily the airline booket us on another place for free.

Many years ago I went fishing on the local canal. parking my car in a nearby layby. Returning several hours later the keys where hanging in the boot lock.

BTW the wife still reminds me of this. 

Another classic I'm not allowed to forget, on holiday we called in at a local eatery and I reached for my reading glasses for the menu and couldn't find them. I was without them the whole of the two week holiday. Returning home I tried to claim on the insurance but was turned down. Many weeks later I found them in the jacket I'd been wearing on holiday.

• 1 month later...

Parked the car in Prince Bishop's car park Durham city, left the keys in the ignition, went to ticket machine, got ticket only to find I'd put the lock on the door before I closed it.

Went to the attendant to explain the situation, he let me use the telephone so I could phone my cousin who had my spare house key. Told him where my spare car keys were. He drove 15 miles to bring me that key. Never lived it down since.

My father has dementia.  A couple of years a go I drove him out to a dark site to take some star trail photos next to a derelict church. Dad just sat inthe car whilst I got all the kit out. Anyway, in the pitch black, and with a handful of kit and car keys, I closed the door with my elbow. Unfortunately at the same time as trapping my thumb in the door frame, I also central locked the car. It was pretty blinking painful and in the total darkness my imagination convinved me that I had severed my thumb. (I had only lost my nail).

I pleaded with dad to open the door but he just said he didnt know how to, and carried on staring into the darkness without a care in the world!

I had to drop all my camera and kit in order to unlock the car. Funny now, but definitely not at the time!

New telescope... I'd assembled it in the day to check everything was OK, aligned the finderscope etc. Perfect! Took everything down and waited for evening...

Set up the tripod, leveled it, then the equatorial mount, aligned it using my best compass (taking declination into account), checked Google Earth for Lat/longitude & set the mount, positioned the OTA, got the balance right, adjusted the counter-weights... Put the EPs on their tray. Checked Stellarium to see what was up. Perfect!

Only then did it occur to me to actually look up at the sky....

Completely cloudy :clouds1::clouds1::clouds1::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::crybaby2::crybaby2::crybaby2:

I have now developed the habit of forgetting to lock the terrace door after observing. I open a big window to carry the scope outside, because it is just wide enough to carry scope on mount outside through. But that window can't be closed from the outside. So for the rest of the stuff, I use the terrace door. When tidying up afterwards, I carry the stuff inside through the terrace door. And then open the window from inside to carry the scope inside. And then terrace door remains unlocked. Happened a couple of times already. Luckily the burglars haven't discovered it yet...

On 11/02/2016 at 16:49, Astro Imp said:

Many years ago I went fishing on the local canal. parking my car in a nearby layby. Returning several hours later the keys where hanging in the boot lock.

Did something similar many years ago.  We spent a lovely day on the beach, then the whole family spent over an hour in fading light trying to find a set of car keys on a shingle beach - deep joy.  Eventually found them hanging out of the boot lock! Doh!

Archived