Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Glass Lantern Globe Alternative

L8-Nite

Although I have gas and liquid fuel lanterns, they are not  required items for Astronomy, however,  they have always been a necessary part of my camping gear.  The one drawback has always been the fragile glass globes, which are expensive and seem to break when you don't have a spare. A couple of years ago I came across a great alternative, a " STEEL MESH GLOBE " for Coleman and similar lanterns.  Awesome to say the least, and the loss of light compared to glass is negligible for all practical purpose.

These are made by  Century Tool & Mfg. Co.

Thought I'd post this for those who might be interested, or like unbreakable stuff.  :smiley:

PICT0001 (Small).JPG

PICT0002 (Small).JPG

Hi N8-Lite,

I used to use a Coleman lantern, but now have transferred to the following form of lighting.

http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/view/content/search?gclid=CKKM9PLD8soCFQeVGwod2LEFZw&N=0&Ntk=All&Ntt=36-4272&Nty=1&D=36-4272&Ntx=mode+matchpartial&Dx=mode+matchpartial&showTabs=true

These 4W Cob Led Rechargeable  Worklights are lighter, no smell, and last about 6 to 7 hours, time extendable if you can use them via the adaptor.

I have wrapped one of them in Red see-thru foil to make a red light in the tent. I normally have two or three of them hanging in the tent.

No fear of broken glass......

Trust this maybe of some use.

Cheers

Adrian

Thanks for the link. A rechargable "is" the way to go for convenience, that's for sure. Here in the UK you are seldom far away from an electrical outlet :smiley:, even at campsites. In some ways I guess I'm like a dinosaur, stuck in the past, and still like old school technology as it has rarely failed me. Most of my outdoor adventures in the past have been far of the beaten path, and many miles from civilization, which is where non electric options were necessary. I once kidded my Wife that if she went backpacking with me I would get her a candle powered hairdryer; she said " what a bob, your on your own ".  :grin:

Archived