Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

ngwillym

EQ8 ordered

I finally stopped dithering and ordered an EQ8 ( and a bunch of other bits) - needed to run a dual scope setup with a 5" Apo and Celestron C11 side by side - and before anyone tells me I've made a bad choice - there was little/no choice give my budget wouldn't stretch to any of those more expensive options.

so now the fun will begin:-

i) De-mount and Defork the C11 - although its ~12 years old I've been assured that the optics are first class - so its a keeper and not going to be replaced soon

ii) fit nice shiny new ADM Losmandy dovetail

iii) fit nice shiny side by side bar to both scopes and get it balanced in the house

iv) use dining table as temporary pier (  :icon_biggrin:  )for the EQ8 to get some practice indoors and also to get preliminary balanced setup

v) demount the Milburn wedge from the pier (after marking where N is  :icon_biggrin: )

vi) fit new pier top and then EQ8

vii) Fit scopes

viii) Align it all

Simples, what could possibly go wrong ( watch this space.......)

(oh yes and not forgetting - sell all unwanted bits - C11 fork without scope, Milburn wedge and Heavy Duty Field tripod for the C11)

(Hmmm, may keep tripod if I can find a way to mount the EQ8 on it in case I want to go portable)

So, apologies in advance for the upcoming atrocious weather

Neil

Nice one Neil

I also am dithering about the EQ8 at the moment.  Sure a Mesu200 or AP would be nice but at the price the EQ8 is, it is hard to pass up.

Good luck, and keep your atrocious weather to your side of the planet please!

Jeremy

Just a thought, but if you already have a fork mounted C11 and Millburn wedge might it not make sense to sell that as a complete 'goer' and buy a C11 OTA only, either new or used? I think Celestron SCT quality is pretty consistent. I deforked a Meade SCT and then rather wished I hadn't since the mount and wedge were not worth much.

One thing about a big side by side setup that's worth bearing in mind is that the meridian flip is forced earlier rather than later because of pier collision and the scope on the low side at the end of the 'counterweights east' run gets to observe/image the observatory wall/neighbour's trees/etc pretty early on. For this reason it's as well to keep the parallel scopes as close together as you can. If you tend to start in the east with counterweights east, as I do, then it also makes sense to put the heavy scope on the opposite side to the counterweights so as to minimize this problem. (So from east to west, go counterwieghts-light scope-heavy scope. The offset will keep the heavy scope away from collision/wall observing for a little longer.) Our present dual rig is symmetrical but when using big scopes in the dual format we encountered the business I describe.

Olly 

Olly,

the thought about selling the C11 as a complete unit had occurred to me but - its a 2003 vintage bit of kit and i know the Nexstar goto works but the tracking is very poor, couple that with the fact the a lot of the paint has flaked off the forks and mount - so its condition, although functional is quite poor - I don;'t think it would command a great deal - certainly not enough to get   a new shiny C11.

I will sell the Milburn - its still in pretty good nick - 7 years on from when I bought it. I'll put the forks up for sale - but I'm not going to worry if it doesn't.

And thanks for the advice on the dual set up.

And, typical isn't it - Sunday - EQ8 and the deforked c11 are sat in the living room awaiting fixing kit for the pier (arrives Monday) - and its as clear as bell outside. Guaranteed - as soon as I put the stuff on the pier it will cloud over :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

Follow up:-

EQ8 installed on pier and roughly polar aligned (by eye and just the finder) :headbang:

C11 single mounted & balanced until EQ8 fully commissioned and polar aligned :icon_biggrin: - not sure yet if I 'll need another counterwieght

Second light - Jupiter - just appearing through the trees at my site @ 10pm - goto seems accurate as does tracking - even just this quick look shows it to be significantly better than the C11 fork

Happy bunny so far

Best of luck with your endeavours. The EQ8 is a great mount for a permanent setup, it tracks really well especially when used with PhD. I really liked mine, but it was just too heavy to use as a portable setup. Nearly killed me lifting it in and out the car.

Derek

• Like 1

It is heavy, but with the C11 on it - its about the same weight as the C11 was with its forks - in fact, it feels slightly lighter.

Now all I need are some clear nights to get the alignment accurate - I think tomorrow is the only one for the  next week or so:hmh:

Try lifting the head and box into a car boot. The box and head weigh 46 Kilograms :evil4:. It is not just the weight it is the awkward shape to lift over a bumper etc,.

But it is a great mount for a permanent pier setup. I am sure you will love it. :p

Derek

Congratulations on the EQ8.  I am to'ing and fro'ing between EQ8 and MESU as well.  Despite it costing two grand more I think I am still on the MESU side (at the moment)!

Steve

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Neil56
      Seasons greetings to all.  I have a Sky-Watcher Eq8 Pro mount with synscan , a bit over 2 years old having had fairly light use ( due to moving house).  This has sadly developed a problem. When all plugged in and switched on the LED on the switch comes on , steady red, no flashing, the hand control lights up, but looks somewhat dim and anaemic and the screen remains blank, there is no initialising, in fact there is no anything other than an orange glow. I have tried the obvious things, I have cleaned contacts, replaced cables etc. No better.
       Reading other posts, it seemed likely that this may be a power supply problem, especially as mine  was somewhat  dodgy and on the end of a very , very long wire.  Santa helpfully provided me with a new regulated switched power supply delivering a steady 13.5 Volts DC  at up to 5 amps.  To try this out I brought the whole thing inside so that there is no longer the long wire, I plug it in full of high hopes and guess what. no change, still nothing on the synscan screen. BU**ER it !! 
      Clearly there is a fault in either the hand control or within the mount itself.  Can anyone suggest a way of determining which is at fault ?  I don't want to pay quite a lot to get the mount to a service agent only to find that a replacement hand control would have fixed it.  The handbooks that came with the EQ8 give little information on troubleshooting and what little there is, requires a working connected hand control.
      Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
      NEIL
    • By MikeODay
      The Cat's Paw Nebula ( NGC 6334 ) in Scorpius 
      updated ( slight tweak to colour balance, a little brighter and tad more contrast )  

( please click / tap on image to see larger and sharper - a full size image can be seen here )
      original:

( please click / tap on image to see larger and sharper - a full size image can be seen here )
      ……………………...
      Also known as the Bear Claw Nebula, NGC 6334 is an emission nebula near the scorpion's tail in the Scorpius constellation. 
      Image details:
      Image centre ...... RA: 17 20 08.185  Dec: -35 52 30.91
      Field of view ..... 57' 37.8" x 38' 51.8"
      Rotation .......... 0.00 deg ( North is up )
      Resolution ........ 0.586 arcsec/px
      Telescope: Orion Optics CT12 Newtonian ( mirror 300mm, fl 1200mm, f4 ).
      Corrector: ASA 2" Coma Corrector Quattro 1.175x.
      Effective Focal Length / Aperture : 1470mm f4.7
      Mount: Skywatcher EQ8
      Guiding: TSOAG9 Off-Axis-Guider, Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2, PHD2 
      Camera:
      Nikon D5300 (unmodified) (sensor 23.5 x 15.6mm, 6016x4016 3.9um pixels)
      Moderate light pollution ( pale green zone on darksitefinder.com map )
      Capture ( July 2018 )
      6 sets of sub-images with exposure duration for each set doubling ( 4s to 240s ) all at ISO 250.
      168 x 4 min frames plus ~10 frames each for the shorter exposures  
      Processing:
      Calibration: bias, dark and flat
      Integration in 8 sets
      HDR combination 
      Pixinsight July 2018
    • By hughgilhespie
      Hi,
      Anyone know where I can buy a short EQDIR lead for my EQ8? I am fitting a mini-computer to my OTA and I would like a cable length of about 50 cm. 
      Regards, Hugh
    • By MikeODay
      Carina Nebula with the bright unstable star Eta Carinae in the centre of the image.   edit ( 27 March ):  Tweak to shadow levels to bring out more detail and also a slight reduction in the brightness of the highlights.  A much larger version ( 4562 x 3072 6062 x 4082) is available on my Flickr page.     previous version:   Carinae Nebula ( NGC 3372 ) ( please click / tap on image to see larger and sharper )   From Wikipedia ... "Eta Carinae is a highly luminous hypergiant star. Estimates of its mass range from 100 to 150 times the mass of the Sun, and its luminosity is about four million times that of the Sun." This HDR image is constructed from 12 sets of exposures ranging from 1/8 sec ( to capture the bright centre of Eta Carinae ) through to 240 seconds.  Total exposure time around 13 hours   17-19 March 2018     Image details:   Objects in image:
        Hypergiant, Eta Carinae ( HD 93308 ) in the centre of the Homunculus Nebula
        Carina Nebula ( NGC 3372 )
        Keyhole Nebula
        Open Star Clusters:
          - Trumpler 14, 15, 16
          - Collinder  232
        Field of view ..... 59' 18.2" x 39' 56.0"
      Image centre ...... RA: 10 45 01.762  Dec: -59 40 52.87
      Orientation: North is up   Telescope: Orion Optics CT12 Newtonian ( mirror 300mm, fl 1200mm, f4 ). Corrector: ASA 2" Coma Corrector Quattro 1.175x. Effective Focal Length / Aperture : 1470mm f4.7   Mount: Skywatcher EQ8   Guiding: TSOAG9 Off-Axis-Guider, Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2, PHD2   Camera:
      Nikon D5300 (unmodified) (sensor 23.5 x 15.6mm, 6016x4016 3.9um pixels)   Location:
      Blue Mountains, Australia
      Moderate light pollution ( pale green zone on darksitefinder.com map )   Capture ( 17, 18 & 19 March 2018 ):
      12 sets of sub-images with exposure duration for each set doubling ( 1/8s to 240s ) all at ISO250.
      ( 181 x 240sec + 10 to 20 each for the other durations )   Processing:
      Calibration: master bias, master flat and master dark
      Integration in 12 sets
      HDR combination   Pixinsight March 2018
    • By MikeODay
      “The Blue Bunny Nebula” 
      Edit: 27 Jan 2018 - updated again to try to draw more faint nebulosity out of the background;

( NGC 2359 - Thor’s Helmet )  ( please click / tap on image to see larger and without compression artefacts ( and double click on that image if you what to see it as I posted it ! ) )
      Edit: 24 Jan 2018 - stars a little brighter and tighter with no change to the rest of the image

( NGC 2359 - Thor’s Helmet )  ( please click / tap on image to see larger and without compression artefacts ( and double click on that image if you what to see it as I posted it ! ) )

original:
      Thor's Helmet ( NGC 2359 ) in the constellation Canis Major 

Thor’s Helmet ( Duck Nebula, NGC 2359 ) ( please click / tap on image to see larger )
      This HDR image shows the bright nebula Thor’s Helmet in a sea of colourful stars against a background of red from dust and HA emissions.   The stars in this image range from the brightest ( bottom right, HD 56501 ) at magnitude +7.7 to around +20 or more.  HDR capture and processing allows all of the stars to be portrayed in colour without any burnt-out highlights.  The colours of the stars and nebula are as close as I can get them to their "true colours" by using a "daylight colour balance" and allowing for the extinction of blue-green due to atmospheric absorption/scattering ( mean altitude during capture ~ 60deg ).
      The blue star in the centre of the bubble of expanding stellar material is HD 56925 ( WR7 ) - a massive, unstable and short-lived Wolf-Rayet star that one day will detonate in a supernova.
      Image details:
      NGC 2359  Thor’s Helmet / Duck Nebula: Magnitude +11.5, RA (2000.0) 7h 15m 37s, Dec -13deg 12' 8", approx. 1800 light years away
      HD 56925 / Wolf-Rayet 7 ( WR7 ) ( blue 11.5 mag star at centre of “bubble” )
      Haffner 6 ( open ster cluster centre left of image )
      Plate Solution:
      Resolution ........ 1.318 arcsec/px
      Rotation .......... 0.00 deg ( North is up )
      Focal ............. 1398.41 mm
      Field of view ..... 57' 40.8" x 38' 29.0"
      Image center ...... RA: 07 18 36.509  Dec: -13 11 53.38
      Telescope: Orion Optics CT12 Newtonian ( mirror 300mm, fl 1200mm, f4 ).
      Corrector: ASA 2" Coma Corrector Quattro 1.175x.
      Effective Focal Length / Aperture : 1410mm f4.7
      Mount: Skywatcher EQ8
      Guiding: TSOAG9 Off-Axis-Guider, Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2, PHD2 
      Camera:
      Nikon D5300 (unmodified) (sensor 23.5 x 15.6mm, 6016x4016 3.9um pixels)
      Moderate light pollution ( pale green zone on darksitefinder.com map )
      Capture ( 18 & 19 Jan 2018 )
      9 sets of sub-images with exposure duration for each set doubling ( 1s to 240s ) all at ISO 250.
      116 x 240s + 5 each @ 1s to 120s
      Processing ( Pixinsight - 20 Jan 18  )
      Calibration: master bias, master dark and master flat 
      Integration in 9 sets
      HDR combination 
      arcSinH stretch

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.