Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ8 ordered

ngwillym

I finally stopped dithering and ordered an EQ8 ( and a bunch of other bits) - needed to run a dual scope setup with a 5" Apo and Celestron C11 side by side - and before anyone tells me I've made a bad choice - there was little/no choice give my budget wouldn't stretch to any of those more expensive options.

so now the fun will begin:-

i) De-mount and Defork the C11 - although its ~12 years old I've been assured that the optics are first class - so its a keeper and not going to be replaced soon

ii) fit nice shiny new ADM Losmandy dovetail

iii) fit nice shiny side by side bar to both scopes and get it balanced in the house

iv) use dining table as temporary pier (  :icon_biggrin:  )for the EQ8 to get some practice indoors and also to get preliminary balanced setup

v) demount the Milburn wedge from the pier (after marking where N is  :icon_biggrin: )

vi) fit new pier top and then EQ8

vii) Fit scopes

viii) Align it all

Simples, what could possibly go wrong ( watch this space.......)

(oh yes and not forgetting - sell all unwanted bits - C11 fork without scope, Milburn wedge and Heavy Duty Field tripod for the C11)

(Hmmm, may keep tripod if I can find a way to mount the EQ8 on it in case I want to go portable)

So, apologies in advance for the upcoming atrocious weather

Neil

Nice one Neil

I also am dithering about the EQ8 at the moment.  Sure a Mesu200 or AP would be nice but at the price the EQ8 is, it is hard to pass up.

Good luck, and keep your atrocious weather to your side of the planet please!

Jeremy

Just a thought, but if you already have a fork mounted C11 and Millburn wedge might it not make sense to sell that as a complete 'goer' and buy a C11 OTA only, either new or used? I think Celestron SCT quality is pretty consistent. I deforked a Meade SCT and then rather wished I hadn't since the mount and wedge were not worth much.

One thing about a big side by side setup that's worth bearing in mind is that the meridian flip is forced earlier rather than later because of pier collision and the scope on the low side at the end of the 'counterweights east' run gets to observe/image the observatory wall/neighbour's trees/etc pretty early on. For this reason it's as well to keep the parallel scopes as close together as you can. If you tend to start in the east with counterweights east, as I do, then it also makes sense to put the heavy scope on the opposite side to the counterweights so as to minimize this problem. (So from east to west, go counterwieghts-light scope-heavy scope. The offset will keep the heavy scope away from collision/wall observing for a little longer.) Our present dual rig is symmetrical but when using big scopes in the dual format we encountered the business I describe.

Olly 

Olly,

the thought about selling the C11 as a complete unit had occurred to me but - its a 2003 vintage bit of kit and i know the Nexstar goto works but the tracking is very poor, couple that with the fact the a lot of the paint has flaked off the forks and mount - so its condition, although functional is quite poor - I don;'t think it would command a great deal - certainly not enough to get   a new shiny C11.

I will sell the Milburn - its still in pretty good nick - 7 years on from when I bought it. I'll put the forks up for sale - but I'm not going to worry if it doesn't.

And thanks for the advice on the dual set up.

And, typical isn't it - Sunday - EQ8 and the deforked c11 are sat in the living room awaiting fixing kit for the pier (arrives Monday) - and its as clear as bell outside. Guaranteed - as soon as I put the stuff on the pier it will cloud over :icon_biggrin:

Follow up:-

EQ8 installed on pier and roughly polar aligned (by eye and just the finder) :headbang:

C11 single mounted & balanced until EQ8 fully commissioned and polar aligned :icon_biggrin: - not sure yet if I 'll need another counterwieght

Second light - Jupiter - just appearing through the trees at my site @ 10pm - goto seems accurate as does tracking - even just this quick look shows it to be significantly better than the C11 fork

Happy bunny so far

Best of luck with your endeavours. The EQ8 is a great mount for a permanent setup, it tracks really well especially when used with PhD. I really liked mine, but it was just too heavy to use as a portable setup. Nearly killed me lifting it in and out the car.

Derek

It is heavy, but with the C11 on it - its about the same weight as the C11 was with its forks - in fact, it feels slightly lighter.

Now all I need are some clear nights to get the alignment accurate - I think tomorrow is the only one for the  next week or so:hmh:

Try lifting the head and box into a car boot. The box and head weigh 46 Kilograms :evil4:. It is not just the weight it is the awkward shape to lift over a bumper etc,.

But it is a great mount for a permanent pier setup. I am sure you will love it. :p

Derek

Archived