Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron C9.25

Ok I have not used my Telescope in 3 years and on inspection of the scope so I can use it again I noticed cobwebs inside the tube !!!!!

I started to look around for getting the scope serviced or just for it to be cleaned inside, I have had a few quotes but plucked up the courage to take the corrector plate out and clean out the cob webs myself. While searching the internet of strip downs of the telescope I came across guides on flocking the tube. Well I could not resist and went for it, I purchased the Black Velour Flocking Material at £5 and it covered the OTA with 1 roll it was a little fiddly but looks very impressive and cannot wait now for clear sky to see the results.

Question has anyone else flocked there Celestron SCT before and what do you think of the results ?

Here is a few Pictures of my set up and before and after Photos from inside the OTA.

photostreamscript>

Well hopefully I will be able to get outside tomorrow night and get the telescope colimated and start off with visual objects then work up to imaging again :hello2:  wil keep updating this post on the results and give everyone feed back to everyone who is intersted.

The main reasons for flocking the SCT was to increase the contrast and sharpness and decreases the amount of light pollution that gets to the mirror.

I have read many posts and guides about is it worth doing and their is alot of good reports for doing it. 

Was not to bad to be honest as long as you do some reading on stripping the sct and their is 2 videos on YouTube showing the strip down procedure.

When dismantling always make sure you mark the positions of the corrector plate to the tube to keep the correct alignment and the shims that  enter the corrector plate.

I did not take apart the Rear of the SCT only the corrector plate.

Hope this helps.

Ok just to report back and for me at has made a massive difference and I say massive difference because where I live there is a supermarket car park and my garden is lit up like a Christmas tree and my eyes do not adopt to the darkness because it is so light.

In my images going through the night was constant in darkness through the night, but before the images used to get brighter and brighter in the back ground as the telescope started to face the car park.

18 minutes ago, brantuk said:

Good grief - they're a law unto themselves these supermarkets - trading estates are the same - no regard for light pollution at all nor how it affects local residential areas.

Yeah makes me mad but thinking of opening up the lamps at the bottom with a gas key and seeing if i can turn the buggers off

I flocked my secondary tube , like these photos show and the differance is quite noticable  especially out at our dark sky site , in town it makes a small differance but from a dark site my C9.25 easily keeps up with a mate's 10 inch Dob on DSO's .

I really like this C9.25 she is a performer .

Brian.

WP_20140429_001.jpg

Archived