Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SALISBURY STARPARTY 3.99

Big thanks from me too - great viewing and also first ( real ) light for the SW200 which worked perfect and al the swearing and hassle of geting it sorted, collimated and stuff were all worth it at last.

Thanks Bernie and Darren for organising it - Sorry I shoved off so fast on Sunday - I went down with Flu after viewing on Saturday night and being in a tent in freezing fog with a temperature wasn't great all I wanted to do by sun-up Sunday was to get home and into a warm bed with some lem sips.

Ohhhh also Bernie and Darren - when we left no one was home at the campsite reception so we couldnt pay them. I've tried ringing them three times today and they dont answer !!!! Anyway if they ask you about it can you let them know we will pay up as soon as they answer the phone.

THanks again everyone for a great weekend.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi All

I've finally arrived back in Glasgow (930 miles over the weekend including visiting my parents on the way there and back). I had a fantastic time, meeting everybody, having a few beers and two nights observing. Thanks to Darren and Bernie for the organising and for the 3 phone calls I had from Darren (the guy really does dot the i's and cross the t's) and for the wake up call at 2.30am on Saturday morning when the sky cleared (although wasn't feeling grateful at the time). I'll definitely be back next year and hope to meet some more SGL'ers at Kielder.

Cheers, Martin

Thanks for the compliments guys and gals!

I really get a sense of satisfaction when after 3 months of planning and communication it really pays off! There was lots of drunken fun and games as well as some fantastic views when the skies cleared!

Sorry about the wake up call MARTIN AND IAN (you guys could sleep through a nuclear explosion)

but im glad i did and im sure that if i didnt you guys would have been effing and blinding the following day!

Well here's to the Next star party! WATCH THIS SPACE

Regards Darren

PS where's everybodys pic's of the SP anyway???

Many thanks to Bernie and Darren from me as well.

I think I have just got the dampness out of my bones now :) but I've got to recover from looking like a poached lobster now, after catching the Sun on Saturday.

It was great to see you all after having spent so much time reading your posts here.

I was amazed how well my Celestron SLT mount worked after aligning it on Jupiter so early in the evening, admittedly with a 102 F5 Achromatic with a Moonfish 30mm but still good nonetheless.

Thanks Mel for putting up with me looking through your scope through Saturday night. M13 and M57 were well worth seeing.

Regards,

Martyn.

YOu were very welcome Martyn - besides without your navuhation help I'd have been well stuffed. There were so many stars on view it completely confused me - took me about 20 minuts on the firts night to even spot Cassiopea !!!!

Doh !!!

Red dot finder is on the shopping list now.

Great weekend ( apart from me getting flu on Saturday night and feeling like hell until today ).

Some great moments - memorable ones being the double cluster in Perseus viewd through Astronuts 12" Dob with a 13mm Televue Ethos - a pretty compelling case I thought to go buy one. An amazing view. Also bagged off ( with a little help from more expert hands ): M13 ( awesome ), M57 amazed we could find it and M27 which was a swine to find.

The Pleiades through my early birthday present ( 38mm Panaview ) were pretty amazing as well.

Views of Jupiter superb, best I have ever seen with the cloudbelts very well defined and traces of the GRS just about visible.

The views of the double cluster were so astounding in the Televue that my partner commented it sounded like a sex session going on with all the oohh and ahhs and shrieks of 'Oh my God' - :)

Heres some pics from event.....

1/ My partner Claire laughs off the vast amount of gear we took. Peter looks mystified about just why we need so much stuff.

2/ The whole lot set up - note the dewshield on the scope - total lifesaver as Astronut would testify - never seen so much dew in my life before.

3/ Mucho interest in the 16" Lightbridge - its HUUUGE

4/ Panorama of the site

post-14805-133877345908_thumb.jpg

post-14805-133877345915_thumb.jpg

post-14805-13387734592_thumb.jpg

Hello Bernie, nice to see you posting again.

The Salisbury Star Bash went very well, lots of good reports of a great do. Well done.

The pics look good, the Jupiter and two moons is excellent for a hand held exposure.

No. 1 and 2 of the lunar shots are great. Hand held again?

I would have loved to have seen through the Cannon with the Ethos.

Ron.

Thanks for the comments :shock: I must admit they were pure luck.

They are all hand held with my G9 digicam.

I am very pleased that you all had a good time :) :)

Just sorry the weather was naff :clouds2:

The moon pics were taken the week before the star bash.

I am glad Darren liked my choice of site at Sixpenny Handley because it took some pursuading to change his mind from Summerfields, but I must admit the overflow field that he took the pics of, I did not know was there.

Still the field next to it has electric and it is only over the hedge but I can sort a generator if we need one.

Bernie. :p

BTW if anybody would like to tweek the pics feel free :lol: .

I thought there was a moon to the right too, I was wrong. Sorry, I need to clean my monitor. :)

Ron.

Ron there were 4 moons but the 2 to the right [i think] are not in the pic but if you can see them your eyes are better than mine they were about the same distance as the 2 on the left.

:clouds2:

According to SN Pro the moons we saw left to right (in the eyepiece with south at the top) were Europa, Io, Callisto and Ganymede so you've caught Europa and Io on that pic (assuming south at the top).

Bernie sent me some photos he took through my dob at the same time (thanks Bernie, I must try some afocal stuff sometime) but the one he's posted is probably the best of the bunch.

I am not expert enough to swear to much - I took an afocal pic of Jupiter too - quality was bad with the brightness of J washing out the colors. I sketch anyway and decided to mute down the glow and sketch over the pic. The cam caught the moons looking crescent like and I cant tell if thats some kind of weird camera effect caused by the pic OR if the moons really did look like that. I didn't notice at the time. The pic did in fact catch all 4 moons and I took them ( based on SaN info ) to be as follows with the image corrected - ie turned right way up.

According to SN Pro the moons we saw left to right (in the eyepiece with south at the top) were Europa, Io, Callisto and Ganymede so you've caught Europa and Io on that pic (assuming south at the top).

Bernie sent me some photos he took through my dob at the same time (thanks Bernie, I must try some afocal stuff sometime) but the one he's posted is probably the best of the bunch.

When are you going to post em ?????

I cant find an eyepiece to fit my cannon.

1x1.jpg

Drying out after the dew.

2x2.jpg

My pathetic attempt at the sun with my PST

3x3.jpg

Darren with his light balls [ well I thought he was good]

4x4.jpg

A very nice 5in refractor I wont one. :)

5x5.jpg

Some people who know stuff.

6x6.jpg

And a Nimrod looking for the missile site at Salisbury :clouds2:

7x7.jpg

Archived