Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SALISBURY STARPARTY 3.99

According to the meteoblue site (astronomy seeing page on the mymapserver link), the Salisbury skies will be clear :thumbright: from 11am Thursday to 8pm Saturday with high cloud moving in on Saturday night and a bit of low cloud (5-22%) after midnight Friday. No prediction beyond midnight Saturday/Sunday yet. Seeing predictions look above average too.

Call me a cynic but I'll believe it when I see it.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking forward to it now - only 2 more sleeps :)

I'm planning on trying out my newly acquired DSLR but I need a favour.

I don't have any filters for it (yet) and I'm a little concerned about dust getting on the sensor. Does anyone have either a 2" or EOS clip filter that I could use for the duration? I'm planning on getting an Astronomik CLS, so would ideally like to try one of these but anything else that would be suitable would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Ian

Looking forward to it now - only 2 more sleeps :(

I'm planning on trying out my newly acquired DSLR but I need a favour.

I don't have any filters for it (yet) and I'm a little concerned about dust getting on the sensor. Does anyone have either a 2" or EOS clip filter that I could use for the duration? I'm planning on getting an Astronomik CLS, so would ideally like to try one of these but anything else that would be suitable would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Ian

That's a good point - are you supposed have a filter on there? :)

Hi Mark,

I think Darren and Bernie are both down there now. I'm pretty certain that there's still room, but if you want to call the campsite and check first the number is on their website here.

Hope you can make it, looking forward to meeting you and seeing your bargain 'scope :) I'll be there from lunchtime(ish) tomorrow.

Cheers,

Ian

Hope the weather gives you guys a break!!

Ian - which DSLR? Don't worry too much about dust getting in, most people don't have a filter in place on theirs.

Remember to collimate your scopes after getting down the access road!!!!

Bernie/Darren - Behave :):(:clouds1:

Thanks Darren and Bernie and all for making it a really great weekend. It was excellent to see some familiar faces such as Wobbly Bob (Bob) and Keagle(Kurt) and to meet a few more new faces such as Lightbucket (Sam), Astronut, Astrobaby, Starflyer, Ringz (apologies for those not named).

The Milkyway was fantastic on both nights. First consective nights of viewing/imaging I have done in ages.

http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php/topic,30616.msg311277/topicseen.html#msg311277

Regards

Kevin

Thanks again Darren and Bernie, we had a great time and the lovely clear sky last night was a bonus to top off a great few days. Darren, I was really impressed with the organisation and communications between the camp site owners and yourself, you should do more of this, you're a natural :(

It was great to meet everyone, share a few beers and a few of Bernie's rubbery jokes; all I can say is "what a top bunch of people you are, friendly, generous, sincere and passionate about astronomy"

I'm looking forward to seeing some of the pics and astro images that people took while they were there, I took some of both and I'll post something here when I've dug the camera out of the pile of gear in the front room, but first I need to sleep for 10 hours :)

Cheers

Ian

Im really glad you enjoyed yourself ian!

I just want to say a huge thank you to everyone that turned up, it was nice to see some old and new faces alike! Without you all, this couldn't of happened!

I hope to organise another 1 or 2 next year and hope to make it grow each year (maybe even like kelling or kielder) :):(:clouds1: :clouds1: or maybe not!

I was thinking maybe of holding one in the peak district so that is easily available for those ooop norf and another one at a new site me and bernie have found in salisbury with an even better view and more room for more astrnomers!

So a huge thanks to mel and partner (astrobaby), Kevin and family (Beyondvision), Ian (Starflyer) and family, Martin (Dogfish), Bernie (supernova), Kurt (Keagle), Bob and trish (wobbly bob), John (Jwdg43),

Peter (timetraveller), Sam (lightbucket), Ian (Astronut) and ringz! Without you i couldnt have made it a success it was!

Looking forward to seeing the fun images as well as the astro images!

Thanks for a Great time

Darren :clouds1: :hello1: :hello1: :hello1: :hello1: :hello1:

Big pat on the backs and high fives to Darren and Bernie for organising the bash.

Great to meet some new faces and looking forward to the next one.

My personal thanks to:

Martin (Dogfish) - for the loan of hairdryer + battery on Friday night (major dew problems)

Mrs Bob - for the wake up coffee on Friday morning

Mel (Astrobaby) - for the loan of hairdryer + power pack last night (terrible dew! terrible dew! terrible, terrible, terrible dew!) and the absolute proof that a cheap dewshield really does keep the secondary dry :)

Clare & Mel - for the delicious starvation-staving sausage baps and coffee

Special thanks to the cloud gods for giving us all a break and the camp owner for keeping the lights off after some diplomatic pressure from the others. :(

Yup huge thanks to Darren and Bernie for organising it, and Bernie especially for letting me stay in the caravan.

Nice meeting you all, good to see Bernie, Ian, Darren and Kevin again, and it was great to meet Ian(Starflyer) and Martin(Dogfish), Bob(Wobblybob), Sam(Lightbucket), John(jwdgaef483923 or something), Pete (Timetraveller), Mel and her partner, and Martin(Ringz).

Next time I hope I don't leave when its a clear sky! :) I'm also nearly sold on an Astrotrac, the pimped-up barn door that it is.

Kurt

Hi Daren and Bernie what an absolutely great weekend

Great Fun, Great Company and Finally Great Viewing.I'm allready missing all you guys and girls that came. This Weekends bash,proved beyond any doubt that the members of SGL truly are one big family and I really Love being a part of it . Please please can we do it again soon I'm not sure i can wait till next year. I know all you great Ladies and Gentleman who run this SGL site are incredibly busy but i wish we could have one giant get together were all of this Great SGL family could be together maybe you could perhaps concider getting Bernie and Daren to organise it on your behalf they certainly did a first class job this weekend regards Pete

Archived