Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Germany

Bodger

Hello everyone,

New member here so go easy please :icon_biggrin:

After a lifetime admiring the night sky and especially the moon, I’ve decided to take the plunge and buy a telescope to start exploring the night sky in more detail and is maybe the next step up from waving at ‘Tim’ when he passes overhead!!

I’ve bought the motor-driven Sky-Watcher EXPLORER-130M which comes with a x2 Barlow lens, an EQ2 Equatorial Mount and a Red Dot Finder.  It seemed a fairly good serious beginner’s telescope and I have added a ‘T’ mount for my Canon DSLR and a set of 4 x Seben coloured filters.

I also have a copy of “An Idiots Guide to Stargazing” . . . . what could possibly go wrong!!!

It’s all very mysterious and I don’t have a clue where to start but I’m hoping to pick up lots of help and advice from people here.

A little about me.  I live in Germany, up in the Hunsrück hills, mid-way between the Mosel and the Rhine where light pollution is virtually non-existent.  Hurray.

My main passions are photography, fretwork (scroll sawing) and toy making.

I have a balcony off of my lounge which is South-facing and hope to use this as my main observation post.

As touched on above, I’d really love to take some great images through the telescope and having read a few things on-line about a lack of focusing capabilities so I’m a bit disappointed.  It would appear that screwing a ‘T’ mount on to a Barlow viewfinder will give the best results?  So I have my fingers crossed.

I managed to find a 3 year old copy of The Sky at Night magazine and didn’t understand a word!!  Lots of gorgeous pictures but very little information for a rank beginner.  Is there an easy-to-understand magazine or book recommended that starts at page 1?

Well that’s enough of me . . . . if you’re still there.  Thank you.

Barry

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Barry and welcome to the forum. In my view the best book for beginners would be, "Turn Left at Orion" as it provides a great deal of background details, instructions and useful tips. It lists some 100 objects that are presented seasonally and each target comes complete with both written and visual instructions on how to find it as well as background information on its history and what specific details to look for. It's primarily directed towards observers with modest equipment (including binoculars) and it also provides a difficulty rating so you know from the start whether it is an easy one to find. Hope that helps.

Clear skies for now and hope you enjoy the forum.

Hello and a warm welcome to the SGL. I would also recommend the Backyard Astronomer to get you started. It is a bit expensive, but worth the money. Also you may want to get a star atlas. The Sky and Telescope Pocket Atlas comes highly recommended on this site.

WOW . . . what a welcome.

Thank you all so much for the very warm welcome.  I started to thank individuals but thought it would seem silly to keep posting loads and loads of 'thank you' - so a HUGE thank you to everyone.  You have made me feel really welcome and I will try not to ask too many silly questions.

I have just ordered the 'Turn Left at Orion' book from Amazon and will check into the other recommendations.  Thank you.

Barry

17 hours ago, baggywrinkle said:

Welcome to SGL, sounds like a nice area to live in.

Thank you for the welcome.  Yes, it is a very nice area up in the Hunsrücks.  We're about an hour south of Koblenz, 25 minutes from Cochem on the Mosel and 35 minutes from Boppard on the Rhine.

Barry

Archived