Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What magnitudes do my sky allow

Hi!

Im sitting here with the caldwell catalogue and are looking forward to testing out some new visual gear next time the skies clear. I just want to make sure that I don't line up a bunch of targets that will be impossible to see because of light pollution, seeing or Aperture.

So, How do you get a feeling for what is within reach? Do you just do empirical tests to get an idea of what magnitude a certain sky and scope can show? I will be looking into a 150mm Mak, 90 mm refractor and a 60mm refractor. On a good night, dark adjusted, I can see the milky way  with averted vision from my back yard - but more often I can not.

For Caldwell objects, my guess is that you can see open clusters and globula clusters with your 150 Mak, maybe a few high galaxies in your dark nights. you'll need filters to see some nebulas, a OIII filter with a ~30mm eyepiece in WO 90mm, e.g. should be capable for the Veil (C33, C34).

Depending a bit on where you live in Norway, you can rule out C65 -> C109, they will be below, or too Close to the horizon.

And still there are some tricky ones left amongst the 64 first ones...

Rune

Not much help in my first post there....

I think you can find possible 16 clusters, C6 cats eye nebula, C22 blue snowball nebula, C39 Eskimo nebula, C55 Saturn nebula and some galaxies.

All should be doable under a quite Bright night sky, and from a northern latitude ...

Rune

Archived