SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Right. Thats it...

Having used binoculars before, I got my first telescope last year and the weather has been consistently bad ever since. A couple of nights ago I saw it looked clear outside but I have been caught out many times recently getting my stuff set up and then I look up and the clouds have rolled in so I ditched my main scope and just put my 9x50 finder on a tripod and went straight out and guess what - the clouds beat me again!

However, this bad weather has meant I seem to have *accidentally* built up a bit of a collection of books and maps and have been doing a lot of reading. I find myself in the position of having gained quite a lot of knowledge but not a lot of experience which results in odd situations like the first time I used an EQ mount I had no problems setting it up and using it even though I never had used one before, and when I am looking for things visually by star hopping and using maps I seem to be doing fine with finding things having spent so much time poring over maps on cloudy nights!

I'm hoping for many years of good times and starting out doing a lot of reading instead of doing a lot of practice isn't the start I would have chosen but it has still been very interesting.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gcw6566fb#?fcTime=1454976000

Above is the Met Office forecast for my location. Apparently, it'll be clear for a few hours on Wednesday evening with the possibility for clear spells for the rest of the week, so hopefully, I'll be able to do some imaging. Having said that, I'm not counting my chickens just yet as the forecast is liable to change as it has many times before, after getting my hope up.

Archived