Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC 4038

Daniel-K

board with the weather so i decided to try and use a robotic imaging rig in Australia itelescope.net . 

i only managed x1 300 sec sub as a trail.  pleased with the first one and hoping to use this capture some really nice galaxies that i cant see here in UK.

The scope was a 700m CDK Planewave

Dan 

urgggg that jpeg looks awful!! 

jpeg-t27-danielk-ngc4038-20160208-022258-luminance-bin1-_-300-001 (1).jpg

On 08/02/2016 at 15:51, estwing said:

cheat!!!

Whilst I do detect the tongue in cheek element here.. ;) I recall some previous threads that got quite heated about using remote scopes. I can totally understand the lure of clearer skies and targets not easily accessible from the UK. But on a serious note.. where does one draw the line at "cheating"? Dan has been totally up front with the details so there's no "hoodwinking" going on here but it's an interesting question... I run a "remote" robotic setup using more or less the same software as the iTelescope network... ok it's at the bottom of my garden but I haven't physically been in there for weeks. Is that regarded the same as taking my kit to a hosted site in another country with far better skies & using it remotely from there? Are there different "acceptable" levels of "cheating"? Do people take remote images less seriously... If that were the case I guess the ultimate cheat is the Hubble!

43 minutes ago, Sp@ce_d said:

Whilst I do detect the tongue in cheek element here.. ;) I recall some previous threads that got quite heated about using remote scopes. I can totally understand the lure of clearer skies and targets not easily accessible from the UK. But on a serious note.. where does one draw the line at "cheating"? Dan has been totally up front with the details so there's no "hoodwinking" going on here but it's an interesting question... I run a "remote" robotic setup using more or less the same software as the iTelescope network... ok it's at the bottom of my garden but I haven't physically been in there for weeks. Is that regarded the same as taking my kit to a hosted site in another country with far better skies & using it remotely from there? Are there different "acceptable" levels of "cheating"? Do people take remote images less seriously... If that were the case I guess the ultimate cheat is the Hubble!

whooooa, easy dude.

cal is my observing buddy. he's just yanking my chain cause I've gone back to AP from visual.

1 minute ago, Daniel-K said:

whooooa, easy dude.

cal is my observing buddy. he's just yanking my chain cause I've gone back to AP from visual.

Yeah.. no worries.. I guessed that.. kinda came over a bit more serious than I'd "proof" read it.. but it's an interesting question though as I think we're going to have to do more of this from the UK if we're going to get any decent imaging done with the weather trends now..

3 minutes ago, Sp@ce_d said:

Yeah.. no worries.. I guessed that.. kinda came over a bit more serious than I'd "proof" read it.. but it's an interesting question though as I think we're going to have to do more of this from the UK if we're going to get any decent imaging done with the weather trends now..

yeah I agree. I was on iTelescope last night and Damien peach was on a scope next too me ?

I haven't worked out how to process the data yet but I'm working on it

15 minutes ago, Daniel-K said:

yeah I agree. I was on iTelescope last night and Damien peach was on a scope next too me ?

I haven't worked out how to process the data yet but I'm working on it

Oh you name dropper you... ;) I used to have an account, not sure if it's still there been a while. Still on the mailing list. Make the most of it.. can't see me getting any of my projects finished this season!

Archived