Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What to get after a 8" Newt?

Because of the lack of sky I've been window shopping, as I suspect some of you do, and I realise that I need some basic pointers.

Now that I haven't yet got the 8" newtonian yet, I go to wondering what to add to the collection. You see I haven't got the Newt yet, and I wouldn't be able to see anything with it because of the clouds, but I'm wondering which catologues to look at whilst waiting for it to come and the clouds to go.

Would you go for a Cassegrain type or refractor? Shmidt or Mak?

Strikes me that the folded type have (generally) a longer focal length which would give higher magnification with prime focus DSLR use for planets whereas the refractors are somewhat simpler so I was thinking that, as I can find the space to store a physically bigger 'scope, I might get more bang for the buck with one of those. As neither are being given away, for the moment only one is allowed on the "think about" list.

Currently I am in between using a DSLR with a telephoto lens and the imminent 8" f/5 Skywatcher so my impressions are purely based on trying longer and longer lenses on the camera. I kmow/suspect that the telescope, when it finally gets here, will change some of the things I can do, as well as the things I then want to do, so I don't know if I want to do stunning Cassini divisions or fabulous fuzzies.

Could you guys help narrow down the fantasy list a bit?

The budget is flexible at the moment, though I don't know how flexible it will get.

BTW I intend to use the HEQ5 Synscan mount that's coming with the Newt to stick the new one on and swap and change them (or piggyback?).

TIA

Captain Chaos

As the silly Newt isn't here yet, I don't yet know how portable (or not) this is yet. I'm expecting a big tube thing about 4 foot long and a foot across stuck on a tripod. The two bits seperate for moving, so it won't be a problem. (Used to play a trombone at school).

Using the same mount must save some dosh so in that regard, yes I'll reuse it.

With the large range in costs for similar Spec. refractors, I'm finding it difficult to get a handle on how the prices compare between Maks, Fracs etc.

I could always talk to that alleged Git at Telescopes 4 you and rent one of each for a week, I guess that business is slow for him just now, what with the cloud season being in full swing.

Thanks for the input guys, I think I need to look down a telescope and then think again.

Captain Chaos

Yeah, but it'll be here tomorrow . . . . . . won't it?

Besides there's nowt to look at just now.

Oh and Caz, the reason for looing is simple - boys need new toys. I don't have any new toys because it hasn't arrived yet. When it does the TAS (Toy Aquisition Syndrome) will be mollified for some short time, until then virtual retail therapy works for me.

L8R

Captain Chaos

My two scopes that I don't have yet are the 8" Dob, and the 5" frac. Refractors are said to be unbeatable for planets and the moon, and largish reflectors for DSOs. Of the two scopes that I don't have, the one I don't use the most is the Dob, as there are more DSOs than planets. The frac I don't have is very good on those moon-spoiled nights, though.

Oh and Caz, the reason for looing is simple - boys need new toys. I don't have any new toys because it hasn't arrived yet.

Huh...silly me, what other reason could there be... :lol::(

:p And that from the person with an astronomical shopping list in their signature

Martin

I might have known you would put your 2pennth in, and in my defence, those are to aid the one, and I repeat one scope that I have.... :lol::(

hehehe! Don't deny you've been looking at those sexy little Maks :p

Martin

Archived