Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Lancashire!

Nogan

Just thought I'd say hello and make it official after a few weeks of loitering on here, reading posts and getting tips and advice.

I'd class myself as a total newbie to astronomy, my last dip into the hobby being over twenty years ago as a young lad who spent many a freezing evening in a back yard in Burnley with a small (3 inch I think) refractor bought from Argos. Although I lost interest in the telescope after a year or so, I always maintained a keen interest in all things science and space related. 

Spring forward to one night a few months ago, looking up at the sky one dark night away from home and seeing a sky darker than I'd ever seen before, I got the urge to explore it once again. Cue weeks of reading reviews and forums like this, I took the plunge, and I'm now the happy (but slightly befuddled) owner of a Sky-Watcher 200p on an EQ5 mount.

Now I'm just waiting for a clear night to use it

Regards,

Paul

Welcome from one newbie to another! I've always had this interest in space too, and we've just got our hands on a Skywatcher Explorer 130P. So far been able to see M42 (Orion Nebula) and Jupiter with it's bands so I'm sure you'll get some fantastic seeing with your 200mm scope!

All the best and clear skies!

• Like 1

Hi Paul and welcome to SGL.

I'm a Lancashire lad too, I live in Padiham, so not too far from you mate. I also have the Skywatcher 200P and an EQ5 mount. It's a great scope and I have managed to see some wonderful sights with it as well as take some nice photos with it. I recently upgraded the EQ5 by means of a Synscan upgrade kit and would recommend it, particularly if you intend to do any astrophotography and even if you don't, it makes viewing visually a lot more relaxed and satisfying.

Edited by HowardHopkinson
Added Info
  • Like 1

Welcome from a fellow Lancastrian, and proud Burnley lad.

Great site this, plenty of helpful folks.

See ya around no doubt. Edit; There's loads of us round here! Shall we build our own observatory? :wink:

ATB

Bob

Edited by bob4026
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, bob4026 said:

Welcome from a fellow Lancastrian, and proud Burnley lad.

Great site this, plenty of helpful folks.

See ya around no doubt. Edit; There's loads of us round here! Shall we build our own observatory? :wink:

ATB

Bob

are you a brickie bob?:icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

Welcome to SGL. I also got the EQ5 as part of my first telescope. It is a great piece of kit. I could guide a long refractor issue (provided it was properly balanced). 

I would get some practice in setting it all up inside and getting used to how it moves. When you do go outside, take your time, use tellurium or some form of reference and enjoy. SS:->

• Like 1