Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Geordie mc

Eye piece recommendations for lunar/planetary observing

Hi everyone. I would like to upgrade my eye pieces to something better than the cheap Celestron set I have been using for the last 6 years. I have a Celestron Edge 800 now and really want to get the best views when observing our Moon and planets. I would rather buy 1 or 2 good EP's than a few more that are only slightly better than my current set. I am also considering a better Barlow or power ate. My budget is around £500 to cover 2 EP's. The new TelVue Delights got a good review in Sky at Night magazine. Any thoughts most valued. Thanks.

If you want a wider-than-standard view and comfortable eye relief then the Tele Vue Delites, Delos or the Pentax XW's are all very much top tier performers in any scope.

If you don't mind a narrower field and shorter eyerelief Fujiyama Orthos are possibly even better optically on planetary and lunar observing.

The Vixen SLV's have a 50 degree FoV but long eye relief and are superb performers as well.

My personal choice is Ethos + Pentax XW's + Radians to fill the gaps but I'm a wide field junkie :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

as said by john the ethos are great but you wont get 2 for your money. also at f10 (sct) you dont need top draw stuff but there nice :happy7: i used the tv naglers and sw nirvanas in my sct and they were stonkingly good

I have ended up with as set of XW's after much experimenting, un-incidentally the Moon and targets in the solar system are also my favourite targets.

As mentioned above there are some very good options available and I am sure whichever you choose you will not be disappointed.

• Like 2

I am just going to sound like so many of the other replies. Any TeleVue will perform but as said you do not really need these marques at F10, ExSc amd Meade Series 5000 UWA and SWA will be very good too and you can buy a fair few for 500 quid and probably all you would ever need if you went secondhand.

However if you are intent on top draw, Delos and Nagler will not disappoint you and you could probably get 2 for that outlay, Delite delight from what I have read but as yet I do not own one.

Good luck, Alan

Thanks guys. I would use the EP's on other faster scopes too. I have an f4 200mm newt. So would like the best my budget allows. TelVue seem to be the ones to go for but I will try and check out the Pentax too. Any thoughts on the Barlow?

26 minutes ago, Geordie mc said:

Thanks guys. I would use the EP's on other faster scopes too. I have an f4 200mm newt. So would like the best my budget allows. TelVue seem to be the ones to go for but I will try and check out the Pentax too. Any thoughts on the Barlow?

The best barlow-type device that I've used is the Tele Vue Powermate. They really do just "get out of the way" and give you the magnification boost without introducing any unwanted issues at all. The Explore Scientific Focal Extenders and the Meade TeleXtender's are a similar concept for less £'s.

The Baader VIP Barlow is also a very versatile piece of equipment for both its "invisibility" in the light path and its overall size :happy7:

All this choice is very good :help: That's the second time I have said this today.

I am unusual in that although for everything other than the moon I think ethos and delis are excellent,  on the moon I really don't get on  with them. I get weird flashes of colour etc. I do not get these with the delites which are superb on everything. 

Personally I would recommend the delites over anything else I have used
I will certainly be buying more when funds allow.

Thanks guys. I would use the EP's on other faster scopes too. I have an f4 200mm newt. So would like the best my budget allows. TelVue seem to be the ones to go for but I will try and check out the Pentax too. Any thoughts on the Barlow?thanks everyone. As usual, superb help and very quickly too. Think I will give the deletes a try. Maybe a power ate when funds allow.