SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

atik414ex frosting

Daniel-K

Do you know if they had had any problems?

If not then you could just be unlucky. Sometimes a seal can fail. If the camera has a desiccant plug you can revive it as per the Atik web site instructions. It should then last for along time. Just be sure you open it in as dust free atmosphere as possible. Best to place the camera in a clear plastic box, with lid, in a dry and warm place. Then when the desiccant is recharged and cooled replace carefully. If at all possible use a new "O" ring. Make sure the sealing faces are clean! Give it a couple of days before trying to use it as it takes time to fully dry out the CCD chamber again as the desiccant does it's work.

Derek

On 06/02/2016 at 21:27, Daniel-K said:

it doesnt really say anything scott?

Sorry, what I should have said is when I had the same problem I recharged the disicant tablet

How do I revive my old desiccant tablets?

When the CCD of a camera is cooled, any moisture in the CCD chamber will condense on the CCD as moisture droplets or frost. To avoid this, the CCD chambers are sealed and then air dried and this will last years with normal use. Some Atik camera models feature desiccant tablets that can be changed when they become exhausted, though the method varies slightly between cameras. Our 4-Series cameras along with a selection of other models feature a desiccant port on the outside of the CCD which allows you to easily access the desiccant tablets. It should be easy to determine visually whether or not this applies to your camera. The CCD chambers of the Atik One models are filled with high purity Argon which negates the need for desiccant tablets. Some of our other models feature internal desiccant ports which can be accessed by opening the camera. If you are not entirely confident about how to do this without causing any damage, we recommend you contact support@atik-cameras.com for advice before trying. Where applicable, we provide a round plastic tool which can be placed around the screwdriver to avoid burring the slot. When you remove the cap, an o-ring and one or more desiccant tablets will be found inside. First, leave the camera with the cap and desiccant removed somewhere dry for a couple of days. To then regenerate the desiccant tablets, place them on a baking tray in an oven at 200 degrees for 60-90 minutes. Warning! The tablets will get very hot. After they are cool enough to handle, replace in the camera and replace the o-ring and the cap. Wait 24 hours before cooling the camera once again.  

Not to worry just bake your tablets as described above. I do mine every four months(ish), and just pop them on a bit of foil on a baking tray - middle shelf at about 180deg for a couple of hours. Reason for the foil is you can easily remove them from the tray and wrap them up (until cooled) without burning your fingers.

I'll probably do mine just before SGL XI (and after) because my camera tends to suck up the moisture after being in the middle of a damp field for a few days.

5 hours ago, Uranium235 said:

Not to worry just bake your tablets as described above. I do mine every four months(ish), and just pop them on a bit of foil on a baking tray - middle shelf at about 180deg for a couple of hours. Reason for the foil is you can easily remove them from the tray and wrap them up (until cooled) without burning your fingers.

I'll probably do mine just before SGL XI (and after) because my camera tends to suck up the moisture after being in the middle of a damp field for a few days.

"tablets" mines has and under it there is a small round piece of paper. is that papper there for a reason? can you buy spare tablets?

I can only guess the paper is there to stop any dust from the tables getting into the CCD chamber - mine has a bit of foam at the base (and takes three).

You can get spares from Atik no problem, Vince (nice chap!) will sort you out:

contact@atik-cameras.com

I might get some soon since im unsure as to their lifetime, and Ive been recharging mine for a couple of years now.

On 6 February 2016 at 23:00, Chris Lock said:

... Just listen to the instructions of this nice lady and her re-assuring voice :)

The nice re-assuring lady is Jo' :smile: 

23 hours ago, Uranium235 said:

I might get some soon since im unsure as to their lifetime, and Ive been recharging mine for a couple of years now.

Interestingly, tests have shown a desiccant tablet recharged the way Jo' describes lasts longer than a fresh/new/sealed one. 

Steve

thanks for all the info. i recharged the tablet and it has worked. today i had it down to -14 and no frosting. 

i also got in contact with vince at atik support and he has sent me some spares. 

thanks guys :hello2:

Archived