Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Coleman Fuel Alternative ?

L8-Nite

The other day ( wet & miserable) I had some spare time, so I went over to our storage unit.  Thought I'd go through my old camping gear which I shipped over here last year to look for a small stove. I wanted the stove to be readily available as a backup in case the local power went out.

My camping stoves and lantern use Coleman fuel. It was a shock :eek: when I discovered the price for it here in the UK; about £ 9 a litre :angry5:, so I started looking for a alternative. To cut a long story short, after a long search I came across a alkylate fuel product called " ASPEN 4 "which is sold as a clean burning fuel for 4-stroke lawnmowers, garden machinery, generators, camping stoves, and lights that run on liquid petrol fuel.:smile:

Check out the website:  http://www.aspenfuel.co.uk  for information and a local stockist.  

Here's a photo of my fuel thirsty accessories.......

PICT0001 (Small).JPG

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Tinker1947 said:

Petrol in a tent or there about's sounds very iffy to me.......

Been camping 50 something years with equipment which has stood the test of time, so I guess I can't speak for current import products.  :dontknow:

"Clean burning..." eh? Sorry - but you can put a shoe in an oven, but that doesn't make it a bisquit. Read: It's still going to turn into CO2 when ignited. Unless someone discovered simple nuclear-fusion and is only using this to power lawn-mowers.

I'm hoping for the day to arrive when any/all hydrocarbon-based fuels go for £10,000 / liter.

Dave

Hi N8-Lite,

I have a Coleman Peak stove that burns money.... (Coleman Fuel)   you could try "unleaded petrol" but it may clog up the stove. My Peak stove is over 25 years old but, last Summer I bought a brilliant little stove a MSR Dragonfly.... the link below shows the stove in action and gives a guide to the time to boil water. 

http://www.completeoutdoors.co.uk/MSR-Dragonfly-Stove-and-22oz-Fuel-Bottle-Combo.

This stove can run on a variety of fuels so is ideal for camping anywhere there is fuel  ( it does not burn turf though !!). It sounds like a jet aircraft taking off!

Whilst this stove is expensive, it is lightweight and a quality product which should last a life time of camping up mountains etc. 

I don't use gas because they don't function well in sub-zero temperatures.

I always use my stoves out of doors and especially outside the tent.

Good Cooking......

Cheers

Adrian

1 hour ago, Adrian Condon said:

Hi N8-Lite,

I have a Coleman Peak stove that burns money.... (Coleman Fuel)   you could try "unleaded petrol" but it may clog up the stove. My Peak stove is over 25 years old but, last Summer I bought a brilliant little stove a MSR Dragonfly.... the link below shows the stove in action and gives a guide to the time to boil water. 

http://www.completeoutdoors.co.uk/MSR-Dragonfly-Stove-and-22oz-Fuel-Bottle-Combo.

This stove can run on a variety of fuels so is ideal for camping anywhere there is fuel  ( it does not burn turf though !!). It sounds like a jet aircraft taking off!

Whilst this stove is expensive, it is lightweight and a quality product which should last a life time of camping up mountains etc. 

I don't use gas because they don't function well in sub-zero temperatures.

I always use my stoves out of doors and especially outside the tent.

Good Cooking......

Cheers

Adrian

Interesting stove :smiley:, thanks for the link Adrian.  Yes, at low temperatures and especially at high altitudes, bottled gas won't vaporise.  I found this out the hard way on a backpacking trip when I was a kid.  My Dad modified a propane torch head and made up a little stove for me out of three pieces of sheet metal which were linked together with hinges. The pins were long motorcycle spokes that could be pushed through the hinges and into the ground for stability. As a micro camping stove it worked great, but had its limitations.

13 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

............. I'm hoping for the day to arrive when any/all hydrocarbon-based fuels go for £10,000 / liter.

Dave

Hmmm :icon_scratch:, does that mean you don't use fuel powered transportation, such as a car ?

Coleman fuel is infuriatingly expensive in the UK. In the USA its as good as free. How clean the stuff in the link is I don't know. I always use Coleman in my Coleman lamp but use an MSR Whisperlight and Trangia depending on circumstance. At high altitude the Trangia is very slow and when cycle touring in high and remote places we found we needed to carry too many litres of alcohol. The MSR would happily burn any old petrol and and a litre lasted days even with a small group. However, the name 'Whisperlight' is a bit optimistic. We actually call it The Roarer, after a supercharged Velocette motorcycle. On campsites it's positively embarrassing.

I see no great danger. I would neither store nor pour petrol in a tent so the stove stays closed up.

Olly

1 hour ago, Dave In Vermont said:

It does indeed! I walk, bicycle, and use public transportation.

Dave

7 hours ago, L8-Nite said:

Hmmm :icon_scratch:, does that mean you don't use fuel powered transportation, such as a car ?

Wait till he see's the price of a train/bus ticket is also 10k ;-)

I almost always use unleaded petrol (euro 95) in my Coleman burners (several types actually state they work for both fuels). Works fine, never needed cleaning. I always use them well away from the tent. I have heard and seen too many accidents with gas canisters to trust gas for cooking. A petrol flask is not pressurized when transporting it, I always know how much I have left (no infuriating cases of gas running out halfway through cooking), and I can get the fuel everywhere I can go with my car. It also burns a lot hotter than gas, in my experience.

20 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I almost always use unleaded petrol (euro 95) in my Coleman burners ............... It also burns a lot hotter than gas, in my experience.

That has been my experience also. 

I've seen videos on youtube which show petrol being distilled  :eek: to remove additives, however, its not something I would consider doing for safety reasons.

2 minutes ago, L8-Nite said:

That has been my experience also. 

I've seen videos on youtube which show petrol being distilled  :eek: to remove additives, however, its not something I would consider doing for safety reasons.

Indeed, that would be very dangerous. Note that these Coleman burners should never be used indoors, due to the amount of carbon monoxide they produce

I also use the big bottle of "green" lawn moaner petrol in our camping stove. However, we tend to do the cooking outside. During winter camping, if it is necessary to heat up the tent with the stove at night, one person always stays awake. Sleeping with a burning stove in a tent is not a good idea. Ventilation is your friend.

8 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Indeed, that would be very dangerous. Note that these Coleman burners should never be used indoors, due to the amount of carbon monoxide they produce

We have a small extension on our kitchen we call the glass house, which is vented; that is where I would be using the stove if needed.

2 minutes ago, Linda said:

I also use the big bottle of "green" lawn moaner petrol in our camping stove. However, we tend to do the cooking outside. During winter camping, if it is necessary to heat up the tent with the stove at night, one person always stays awake. Sleeping with a burning stove in a tent is not a good idea. Ventilation is your friend.

"Green" lawn mower petrol ?  Do you know the brand name for it Linda ?

7 minutes ago, L8-Nite said:

"Green" lawn mower petrol ?  Do you know the brand name for it Linda ?

Sorry for you, but I live in Norway and buy it at the local petrol station (Statoil or Shell). In the shop, they sell 4 or 5 liter containers with environmentally friendly petrol. 2 Variations: one for chain saw and one for loan mower. You need the latter. I hope your local petrol stations sell something similar. 

4 minutes ago, Linda said:

Sorry for you, but I live in Norway and buy it at the local petrol station (Statoil or Shell). In the shop, they sell 4 or 5 liter containers with environmentally friendly petrol. 2 Variations: one for chain saw and one for loan mower. You need the latter. I hope your local petrol stations sell something similar. 

Ok, Thank You. :smiley:

It seems the " Aspen 4 " product here looks to be the environmentally friendly option in the UK.

Archived