Narrowband

Tele Vue-60 Review

Piero

I've owned quite a few small refractors 60mm, 70mm, 72mm plus a few 80mm's and a 90mm. Some nice ED's amongst those and I enjoyed what they did but they just did not do enough for me I'm afraid. Sorry to sound a different chord and I can appreciate why some really like them :smiley:

I did spend nearly a decade with a 60mm as my only scope but that was due to financial constraints rather than dedication I have to admit :rolleyes2:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, John said:

I've owned quite a few small refractors 60mm, 70mm, 72mm plus a few 80mm's and a 90mm. Some nice ED's amongst those and I enjoyed what they did but they just did not do enough for me I'm afraid. Sorry to sound a different chord and I can appreciate why some really like them :smiley:

I did spend nearly a decade with a 60mm as my only scope but that was due to financial constraints rather than dedication I have to admit :rolleyes2:

I don't think I would fancy having my TV-60 as my only scope, but having it in the arsenal amongst five other fracs, a couple of Dobs and a Mak adds an element of versatility that some of those other scopes would really struggle to match, particularly in terms of grab-n-go or travelling :wink:

5 minutes ago, DRT said:

I don't think I would fancy having my TV-60 as my only scope, but having it in the arsenal amongst five other fracs, a couple of Dobs and a Mak adds an element of versatility that some of those other scopes would really struggle to match, particularly in terms of grab-n-go or travelling :wink:

Sure, that makes sense Derek :smiley:

As a 9th scope - ideal choice :grin:

My light setup for the TV60 is: TV60 + 1.25" set + light tripod. Total weight is 3kg. The whole thing fits in a normal backpack and can be taken to any field by bike. :)

tv60_l.thumb.jpg.547318819aded318b98da9b5d0408fd8.jpg    

Sometimes I wonder about replacing the mount head with a mini giro or something like that ... :rolleyes2: 

Really inspired by this Piero and have been planning for some time to take my TV76 on a short backpacking journey to wild camp up a small hill, on the approach to the Cheviot hills and so gain the darkest skies possible to strain this aperture. I do not have a wholly portable set up, though most suited for car boot camping, yet portable i.e. berlebach tripod with shoulder bag, to carry in one easy journey to an allotment from time to time. With a more compact kit, a cycle trip will be tempting. 

9 minutes ago, GavStar said:

I've got a tv60 and it's certainly very portable. However my tv85 shows so much more that it would take the need for extreme portability for me to take/use the tv60. I guess trips overseas where space is at a premium

I think that's why I have bounced around between a number of these scopes. The WO66 and Tak 60 were so small you can take them anywhere, the TV76 offered a significant step up in resolution but is quite a lot heavier so I found I took it away less. The FC-76DC is better optically than a TV76 and can be bought in a split tube version which is very light and easy to transport.

Again, the TV85 is a stunning scope but bigger still. If you can dedicate your hand luggage to scope kit then it's fine I think, but if needing it to fit in with other holiday stuff, even camera equipment etc then something around the 60mm mark works very well.

I shall hopefully be able to get my FC100DC to earn its wings and get somewhere south soon which I am very much looking forward to. To date, 76mm is the most I have used abroad so having the full 100mm will be wonderful!

Thanks, Iain. :)  

In my first post of this thread, there are some photos of a much sturdier tripod I used with the TV60. That is 3.5kg and does a perfect job. A bit on the heavy side when cycling but still feasible. I took it to a local field 70-80 times per year and also deep into the countryside here in Cambridge a couple of times. It is in Italy now, holding my mother's 15x70 binoculars :)

If the tripod is safely fastened to your bike, I'm sure you can take your TV76, a 2.5-3kg tripod, and a small set of light eyepieces with you. :) 

9 hours ago, Piero said:

Sometimes I wonder about replacing the mount head with a mini giro or something like that ... :rolleyes2: 

Gitzo GH2720QR. Lightweight yet high capacity and with a single clutch knob for both axis. Loosen with one hand, pan / tilt around with the other, then tighten again when target is in view, all while looking through the eyepiece. It's so easy it's a joke.

:icon_biggrin:

DSC_0897.thumb.JPG.2fe0422ce8f2053dfd4a85ddc1635d00.JPG

DSC_0892.thumb.JPG.a407657f3846ea9d4921ddf46e6d8096.JPG

1 hour ago, Joves said:

Nice thread. I can confidently say that my TV76 has seen more use than any of my other scopes, by probably a very long shot.

Welcome back Aaron, glad to see you on the forum again :) 

• 3 months later...
On 18/09/2017 at 21:09, Stu said:

I think that's why I have bounced around between a number of these scopes. The WO66 and Tak 60 were so small you can take them anywhere, the TV76 offered a significant step up in resolution but is quite a lot heavier so I found I took it away less. The FC-76DC is better optically than a TV76 and can be bought in a split tube version which is very light and easy to transport.

Again, the TV85 is a stunning scope but bigger still. If you can dedicate your hand luggage to scope kit then it's fine I think, but if needing it to fit in with other holiday stuff, even camera equipment etc then something around the 60mm mark works very well.

I shall hopefully be able to get my FC100DC to earn its wings and get somewhere south soon which I am very much looking forward to. To date, 76mm is the most I have used abroad so having the full 100mm will be wonderful!

How do you plan transporting FC 100 DC by plane?

7 hours ago, BGazing said:

How do you plan transporting FC 100 DC by plane?

Thanks to Mike and Mark you already have the answer. With dewshield and focuser removed the FC-100 is short enough to go in hand luggage. It's pretty light too, so not a big problem.

Archived