Narrowband

Hello from Inverness, Sotland

InvernessKim

Hi all, 

I moved here in Inverness 4 months ago from London for studying. I am a mature student, but still loving hopping tour. I had almost finished messier marathon 3 years ago, however, if I could I will start again here. Is there anyone who knows a good point for stargazing in Inverness? if so, please let me know the place in order that I may love here Inverness more than London, terrible air/light pollution city. Clear skies. 

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kim you're in an excellent location - you won't have to travel far to find a truly dark site.  If you have access to a car then consider a trip across the bridge to the Black Isle or head down to Loch Ness.

Jim

Hi Kim and welcome to SGL, it is possible someone may be able to provide you with the information you want, here in the Welcome section, however, you may be better off reposting your question into the section "Getting Started with Observing" where you may well get a better response, enjoy the forum :)

Hi Kim,

Not been up that way for a while but just inland you will find very dark areas. If you have a car try just going 10 miles or so and have a look. I'm sure you will find some great areas. It is a bit further but up around  Bonar Bridge is very dark. You need an area with few people to bother you though and safety must be born on mind!. If you can find an astro society all the better.

Derek

Hi Kim, there is an astronomy club that meet's weekly up at the observatory at Culloden Battlefield. And as someone else pointed out you are now in a great area for catching the aurora during times of activity. 

DSC_0470.JPG

DSC_0688.JPG

Archived