Narrowband

Will Jupiter ever become a Star

28 minutes ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

You need about 13 Jupiters to make a brown dwarf, but that makes a pretty feeble kind of star that can only burn deuterium. It takes about 80 jupiter masses to make a low mass red dwarf. If Jupiter is a "failed star" then I'm a failed whale. ;) 

hahaha give me a hint of your mass, maybe you just fall in the category of sea elephants :hello2:

20 hours ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

You need about 13 Jupiters to make a brown dwarf, but that makes a pretty feeble kind of star that can only burn deuterium. It takes about 80 jupiter masses to make a low mass red dwarf. If Jupiter is a "failed star" then I'm a failed whale. ;) 

So, [removed word], if you're FREE :D to cite a good source for this data, please do! Seriously - that's some great information. It put a smile on my otherwise dour face!

Thanks folks,

Dave

10 hours ago, Tinker1947 said:

I don't think its worth starting a war over Dave, and as for Arthur C Clarke what has he got to do with it (i haven't read any of his books)

Jupiter becomes a star in 2010 Odyssey Two (squeal to Clarke's 2001 Space Odyssey) , Europa is seeded with life, we are told to stay away, and world war 3 is averted.

Jim

I think Arthur C. Clarke hit the nail on-the-head as, of course, he has them go to Europa after being warned off. And now reality is looking to immitate art what with NASA, etal, planning to go to Enceladus and poke around - hot on the heels of scientists suggesting it may be a place with life under the ice - or in.

My cynical-side belives that as scientists would see life found to be a spectacular acheivement, others would see it as sushi. :eek:

I'll go away now.....

Dave

13 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

So, [removed word], if you're FREE :D to cite a good source for this data, please do! Seriously - that's some great information. It put a smile on my otherwise dour face!

Thanks folks,

Dave

Took me a while to work out what the removed word was. ;) I had the same problem when starting this thread.

I just got the figures for the minimum mass of brown and red dwarf off Wikipedia and did a little maths.

On 04/02/2016 at 12:00, Waldemar said:

hahaha give me a hint of your mass, maybe you just fall in the category of sea elephants :hello2:

I'm happy to report that Jupiter is closer to becoming a star than I am to joining the cetacean race.

• 3 months later...
6 minutes ago, Herzy said:

Does Jupiter have a solid ground? There's no way that it is just gas all the way through. 

Isn't there? Everybody else thinks it does!

Can we say Willys Jeep? Let's find out.

Olly

Archived