Jump to content

sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Now you just need the Lightweight Feathertouch for it Jeremy ;)

Good point Stu - especially for weight. But I seem to be one of the few that is happy with Tak focusuers.

I am looking forward to the arrival of the Vixen HR 3.4 mm, though!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This was my travel kit for SGL-X...  

I have a caravan and space is at a premium so I bought this little Meade 80mm triplet apo for this purpose.  Since paid more for the focuser and rings but what can I say, it's worth it. In the bo

Along with torch, Pocket Sky Atlas, guide, planisphere and log, our ultra light go anywhere travel kit consists of a 45 year old Mak and a 60+ year old Tripod. We have a tiny caravan which doesn'

Posted Images

I just really enjoy the fine focus on the FTs. The LW version is even more expensive though, ironically for less material. You pay for the additional machining to reduce the weight. It’s a nice to have not an essential (the LW I mean)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I hadn't spotted this thread before. I'll edit for a pic tonight, but my travel kit comprises:

  • Berlebach Report 112
  • TS AZ travel mount head
  • ST80 or Mak 102 (depending on whether the trip is for DSOs or planets)
  • ES 24/68, SW 9.4/82, ES 6.7/82

Shown here with my astronomy dog (not part of travel kit).

IMG_20180611_193512228.jpg

Edited by Ags
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/05/2018 at 13:33, JG777 said:

That's interesting, looks like a fair bit of weight there with your NV kit. Have you sourced a longer dovetail yet? Will be interested to see some pics when you do. One other thing that slightly helped was locating the RDF further forward onto the clamp ring, might not seem much but all the grams add up!

JG777/Gavin, 

Is your scope the 4" or the 90mm TS Photoline? And how easy is it to package up in cabin bags? Very nice looking telescope.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

JG777/Gavin, 

Is your scope the 4" or the 90mm TS Photoline? And how easy is it to package up in cabin bags? Very nice looking telescope.

Mark, 

These are 72mm F6 TS Apos. Very easy for aircraft cabin travel. Possibly the 90 you refer to might be as well, obviously slightly heavier and longer so might depend on your bag and or airline. 

Performance wise very pleased, the rack and pinion focuser is really well engineered so much nicer than the SW Crayfords! 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, JG777 said:

Very neat, how is it on the manfrotto ball head? 

Thank you it has a quick real easy dovetail type connection. It fits any 1/4” thread, I am using it on my projector at the moment. I can take an image if you need to see it ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, JG777 said:

Mark, 

These are 72mm F6 TS Apos. Very easy for aircraft cabin travel. Possibly the 90 you refer to might be as well, obviously slightly heavier and longer so might depend on your bag and or airline. 

Performance wise very pleased, the rack and pinion focuser is really well engineered so much nicer than the SW Crayfords! 

Oh - got that completely wrong! Very nice looking scopes though and perfect for travel 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Pig said:

Thank you it has a quick real easy dovetail type connection. It fits any 1/4” thread, I am using it on my projector at the moment. I can take an image if you need to see it ?

Yes please do when you have a moment, I do have one of those ball heads but hadn't considered before mounting a scope on it, how is the movement and damping? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

Oh - got that completely wrong! Very nice looking scopes though and perfect for travel 

They do seem to look bigger in the pics than real life, it packs down to 31.5cm retracted and just a little over 2 kilos. Very good travel scope. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JG777 said:

Yes please do when you have a moment, I do have one of those ball heads but hadn't considered before mounting a scope on it, how is the movement and damping? 

The scope is very light indeed and as long as it isn’t over loaded on the rear it is quite a breeze to use. It is surprisingly manoeuvreable for tracking purposes and can also be tightened so that it stays in place.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 25585 said:

What size is that? Groovy colour!

I thought it looked like my WO ZS66SD only in a lovely orange colour.

Mine is in blue, that is now slightly faded.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AdeKing said:

I thought it looked like my WO ZS66SD only in a lovely orange colour.

Mine is in blue, that is now slightly faded.

They are quaint little things, nice colours ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Pig said:

They are quaint little things, nice colours ?

Yes they are, mine has the Aluminium case and I've squeezed a WL solar, night time and terrestrial setup in there based around the Lunt 7.1-21.5mm zoom.

I just need to persuade the fine focus to work properly, something I've failed to do so far.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

I honestly think that's the sexiest scope ive ever seen.

It’s pretty cute I have to say ? and Quark aside the whole setup is quite cheap for what you get.

Edited by Pig
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.