SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

2 hours of Jupiter from 03.02.2016

Pete Presland

Up again before the lark today, clear skies are at such a premium at the moment. The seeing was good between 3-4:30 but deteriorated after as the images show.

The usual set up C9.25/ASI120mm, 4000 frames stacked 10% in A/S2, RGB's combined in C/S2. I think I have cracked the red look which has spoilt some of my previous Jupiter's this year. An easy fix using the "red" channel in curves. Some decent data to go with the beautiful scene this morning!

As always all comments/observations gratefully appreciated.

Untitled-1.thumb.png.d7c0d645210d4279694

Nice images! The seeing was good indeed for most of them. Just like Jupiter appears to me in my refractor on a good night. The colours look fine to me - nothing artificial about them.

Congratulations!

2 minutes ago, Barv said:

Top draw Pete. Colour balance looks spot on. How did you sort it out?

Regards

Harvey

I used the curves menu in C/S2. I just reduced the red channel slightly, by setting one adjustment point in the middle and dragging the curve down a little. Also keeping an eye on the RGB levels with the "eyedropper" tool.

22 hours ago, Owmuchonomy said:

Enjoyed looking at those Pete. Very consistent. I'm not familiar with the kit. How do you carefully manage filter swaps and do you grab 4000 frames per filter? 

I limit the RGB images to 60 seconds per channel. This gives me around 3500-4000 frames depending on conditions effecting exposure etc. ..

The filter wheel is manually adjusted, but I can change filter and select filter color in Firecapture in a couple  of seconds. 

1 minute ago, bunnygod1 said:

I limit the RGB images to 60 seconds per channel. This gives me around 3500-4000 frames depending on conditions effecting exposure etc. ..

The filter wheel is manually adjusted, but I can change filter and select filter color in Firecapture in a couple  of seconds. 

Ok. Do you have to resort to de-rotation software particularly on Jupiter or can you get away without it?

1 hour ago, Owmuchonomy said:

Ok. Do you have to resort to de-rotation software particularly on Jupiter or can you get away without it?

No de-rotation. I figure at the native focal length of 2350mm then approx 3 minutes is probably ok. I have tried WINJUPOS, but found it pretty difficult to understand.

Archived