Novice with 250mm Newtonian Dobsonian

I'm finding the 9x50 finderscope a bit tricky to use. Since it magnifies x9, it makes previously invisible stars appear and I'm not sure which star I'm looking at. Stars overhead involve much neck twisting. Are there finderscopes that are easier to use or is it just a matter of perseverance?

Buy a Telrad zero mag so you will see the familiar stars your used to then zero in with the finderscope.A raci(right angle correct image) finderscope is often bought to replace the straight thru Finder to save your neck and to aid with star hopping.I would not be without my Telrad.

31 minutes ago, Chuzzlewit said:

I'm finding the 9x50 finderscope a bit tricky to use. Since it magnifies x9, it makes previously invisible stars appear and I'm not sure which star I'm looking at. Stars overhead involve much neck twisting. Are there finderscopes that are easier to use or is it just a matter of perseverance?

The 9x50 finderscope (which also gives about 5 degrees of view in the sky) is a very useful aid for scanning, then getting a specific target in the sights before homing in through the EP.

I'm assuming you have a straight-through type, since these are difficult to use when looking at higher angles. Plus, you need to have your eye close to the thing.  A stool might help.  But what I found most difficult was the double inversion they give - up/down, left/right.  This makes it harder to check what you're looking at against a chart or Stellarium.  

Others say you get used to this, but I decided to replace it with a RACI version.  The difference is amazing - so easy to use, and what you see is a slightly magnified and more detailed view of what the naked eye sees.  And no inversion at all.

As for training it on the part of sky you want, that's where the Telrad or RDF come in.  Use that first, then the finder, finally the low power EP.

(RDF - red dot finder; RACI - right angle corrected image.)

You do get used to the double inversion type views although is does take a while. When I first started out in the hobby it's all we had. Funnily enough I still move the scope the wrong way upon looking through a corrected one (force of habit I guess). All that said I would recommend the right angled correct image (RACI) type for anyone new to the hobby. For one thing it means that the view through the eyepiece equals what you can see in a star atlas or on your phone/tablet. 
A Telrad is also a good investment for helping to locate things. I use one on both of my Dob's. 

Hi, and welcome to the forum. I've got the same kit as you by the sound of it. Good advice above on red dot finders and corrected finders. Personally, I've stuck with the 9x50 straight through finder for now, but might upgrade one day. It didn't take too long to get used to, and I think it's very usable. If I was less happy twisting around to use it, I'd no doubt feel differently. The thing that made the difference to me was keeping both eyes open, and seeing the magnified view in one eye overlayed with the naked eye view from the other eye. I just mention this as I've read of a few folks not figuring it out straight away (including me), and finding it helped. Go with whatever works for you best of course though.

Archived