Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New obsy , but what scope do I need?

I'm faced with a nice problem in that, as part of extending our house, I've "found" some budget for a roll-off roof obsy and a new scope/mount...the problem is I'm not sure which route to go regarding upgrading my current CPC800. I'm almost exclusively a visual observer, but might want to do some light photography in future, so I thought a pier-mounted AZ-EQ 6 mount would keep my options open whilst providing a decent payload capacity for a bigger scope (I prefer alt-az for visual observing, but can also switch to EQ if I ever decide to take any pictures). I'm not sure how best to upgrade the scope to get the best to improvement in my views. I enjoy mainly deep sky observing, with the odd gawp at Jupiter and Saturn, so on the one hand a bigger aperture SCT (C11 maybe) seems logical, but I really want to make sure I get the crispest optics I can afford, and not just a bigger mirror. Are there any alternatives I should be considering? I've looked at the OOUK ODK series, but not sure if they're suitable for mainly visual use, nor whether or not they need a lot of attention (collimation etc), which I'm not willing/able to provide. As always, advice from the old-hands out there would be very welcome! Thanks!

If you are really fond of the SCT a 11" EdgeHD will fit your bill nicely. Will have better optics than than a CPC....well I guess I should say flatter field. Which is really nice if you have really wide EPs like the 82 or 100 degree EPs. They are more expensive than the CPC but second hand ones come up very often. And the mount you specified will hold it nicely for observing and if you ever dabble in AP it should do just fine for your dabbling. Also it has a dedicated reducer that really works well and keeps the field flat. 

As for other options you might be able to find a 12" or 14" F/4 or F/5 Newt but those tend to get long and not sure if it will fit in your obsy (you havent mentioned a size). Or you could always design it so you have room for two scopes. Keeping your CPC 8" as is but on a pier and then have a large dob next to it. You could either get a wedge for the occasional imaging with the CPC or even a EQ platform for the Dob. Theres lots of options for you.

Any views on the OOUK 10" ODK scope - would the (presumed) better optical quality result in appreciably better views (visually) than a C11/C11 Edge? I'm a bit wary of being unfamiliar with the Dall-Kirkham characteristics vs. a standard SCT - would've want to spend that money to end up with something visually not a big improvement over a C11, say.

Regarding a Dob, I have been tempted in the past but if I'm honest with myself I don't have the time or inclination to set up, collimate, track etc - I'm afraid I'm probably just plain lazy!

I dont know much about DKs for visual but if I remember right they are not very suited fro visual for the same reason RCs aren't. Its not that you can't its just that for the price and size there are better options. Someone could say otherwise but I think DKs are designed or imaging in mind not viewing. 

To your Dob response - if you put it in an obsy you only have to set it up once (unless you take it out). If you get a good quality scope collimation is easy and also rarely needed if you you are not moving the scope in and out of a building (i.e in an obsy). I'm with you and stayed with my EQ mount and SCT vs a Dob because in my budget I could not afford a 10"-12" Dob with goto/tracking. Im not sure your budget but you could look for a 12" Dob with at least tracking if not GoTo or there are kits you could add it for most scopes. Not trying to push you one way or the other just saying. 

Thanks everyone. Am I right in thinking a Mewlon's a Dall-Kirkham? I know they're pricey, but it's a once in a lifetime purchase (at least that's what I'm telling myself/my wife now!) so as long as what I see through the EP knocks the socks off what I'm already seeing through my 8" SCT, preferably in terms of both brightness and crispness, then I don't mind spending a bit of money on it.

Archived