Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

Emmanuel Marchal

New observatory project!

Here we go, i've started digging the pier hole.

Pouring concrete hopefully this week. And the design the observatory is taking shape (as you can see it serves as a normal garden shed as well for the mower!).

56c119ce93d3c_ScreenShot2016-02-15at00.156c11affb17e6_ScreenShot2016-02-15at00.2

Edited by Emmanuel Marchal
reformatting

Concrete for the pier is poured. I've used an old chimney pipe to get it a bit higher and 4 12" rods bent in L shape. 8 bags of balast and 2 of concrete later and it seems I now have a stable base. Also started getting the shape of the obsy down which will be 2.20m x 4.40m. Hoping to finish the floor this coming weekend!

1 pier.png

2 pier.png

• Like 3

I'll be impressed if you only have a mower in the storage part :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

Finally managed to find a bit of spare time to progress. Basic structure is coming up nicely. I've been wondering a lot about the height of the walls. I'm 6'4" so want to have enough height to stand. but that creates a bit of a pb as the walls are definitely too high on the south side. So i'm going to have to make a wall that can fold. more design to come. 

Screen Shot 2016-05-02 at 09.08.59.png

Screen Shot 2016-05-02 at 09.09.20.png

• Like 3

And the 4 walls are now up. including the shiplap on the back wall facing the fence. I made that one with PVC shiplap as I won't be able to access it for maintenance. so hopefully good for 15 years to come!

I've also made the south facing open able to open up. Design is heavily inspired by the great job of malc-c

The window and double door are recovered from my old house before we improved it. I hope once all covered in shiplap it will look ok.

Screen Shot 2016-05-05 at 09.08.22.png

• Like 2

Have you put your wires into a conduit? Mice love wires to chew on especially under a accessible floor!

Derek

On 5/5/2016 at 10:28, Physopto said:

Have you put your wires into a conduit? Mice love wires to chew on especially under a accessible floor!

Derek

hum no. but not too late.... the wire is armoured but you're right better safe than having to redo the floor...

• Like 1

Be just like the little blighters to chew through the outer covering and there's your waterproof cover gone. :mad:

Maybe use blue water pipe for a cover as it is cheap and in long lengths.

Edited by Physopto

16 hours ago, Physopto said:

Be just like the little blighters to chew through the outer covering and there's your waterproof cover gone. :mad:

Maybe use blue water pipe for a cover as it is cheap and in long lengths.

didn't think about that. not a bad idea. I was thinking simple conduit like this http://www.screwfix.com/p/tower-conduit-heavy-gauge-20mm-x-2m-length-black/70541

21 minutes ago, Emmanuel Marchal said:

didn't think about that. not a bad idea. I was thinking simple conduit like this http://www.screwfix.com/p/tower-conduit-heavy-gauge-20mm-x-2m-length-black/70541

Yes tried that over 30 years ago. The joints can cause problems when pulling new cables if not smoothed off ans internally chamfered. Also can leak supprisingly. Found one several years later full of water under ground. Then the white version is short lived in UV light forum the Sun. The blue water pipe seems to last for ever, easy to lay with no underground joints, unless very long lengths. It is cheaper as no joints needed most times so no leaks. I used several for differet wires and kept them well separated when doing my fish house ( filtration ). So alarm circuit was totally separate to the mains so no capacitive/inductive effect on alarm circuit.

Derek

Edited by Physopto

I think the blue plastic water pipe is available in lengths up to 100m.  Used it in the field to carry water from a small dam and reservior up the hill to taps and water troughs further down.  Rats and mice don't seem to touch it - unlike other things.  I also used it for the underground cable feed to my observatory.  It's very tough.  Available from farm supplies shops and web sites.

• Like 1

I agree Gina, also from if all else fails, Wicks but at premium costs and shorter lengths.  25mm x 50 mtr at Screwfix £31.50

2 minutes ago, Physopto said:

I agree Gina, also from if all else fails, Wicks but at premium costs and shorter lengths.  25mm x 50 mtr at Screwfix £31.50

Thanks Gina and Derek.

I'll steer clear of the pvc pipes then.

• Like 1

Got ours from Mole Valley Farmers together with fittings, one of our local farm supplies shops eg. 20mm x 100mm MDPE blue water pipe.  That's the smallest bore and bigger sizes are available eg. 25mm, 63mm etc. Shorter lengths also available.  Two types are available - BLUE for underground use and BLACK for overground, having UV protection.  I've used both for water distribution around the smallholding.  Yes, also available form DIY stores (may cost more).  Main water supply here and to the neighbours is also in this type of pipe - coming from a spring with filters and reservoir tanks further up the hill.

Edited by Gina

Re: mains cabling (I'm no expert so just recounting my personal experience)

When builders built my garage, they put in the supply cable and then I used the dreaded word "Part P" at which point they called in a certified electrician who rejected it and made them start again (the supply cable was rejected for only being 20A and he wanted 32A).  But they still just buried armoured cable in the ground (putting the special yellow tape over the top).  I don't know about the UK but in France they have regs about the colour of conduit and what runs through it.  So having water supply pipe but running mains electricity ...

I don't know if it would count as outdoor cabling from a inspection perspective but remember that these days Part P certificates are required (and vital when selling a property).  Assuming you are not certified tester yourself then maybe find a cooperative certified electrician.  When I re-wired upstairs I got my electrician in to "quote" and then did all the "I appreciate how busy you are", "maybe I can make your life easier by doing the manual unskilled bits", etc. and soon ended-up with him telling me what to do and at what stage he would need to come-in to inspect, etc. and ended-up paying £25 for his inspections/Part P certificate.  Most electricians are not that helpful.

If you are installing mains cable house to observatory, I'd also suggest adding several Cat 6 ethernet cables to the run (or even fibre if you want).  Cat 6 cable (on drums) is cheap and if you ever start sitting indoors networked to the observatory, then having that cabled network is useful.  Maybe also a phone line ?

I'm a great believer in putting in as many cables as you could possibly ever want when doing an installation as it is so much easier to do it all at the same time than to start to add new feeds later.

Ian

Edited by psamathe
  • Like 3

Good point Ian.

It depends upon if it is wired permanently into the mains I believe. You can use a junction indoors and connect that to a 13 amp socket by plug. Maybe not he best method but frees you from  a permanent installation. The cable can be put into black water pipe as Gina has mentioned rather than the blue.

To be quite honest the best method is to use a ring main anyway from the main supply fuse box in the house. In the end it depends upon what you want and can afford. As long as it is safe, properly tested and certified if needed. A single high amperage cable will be OK if it is a plug connection and the current is limited to well below the cable rating, 13 amps maximum for the plug.

If you do not know what you are doing always get an certified electrician to do the work.

Derek

• Like 1

Agree with all your comments. I had the cable installed by an electrician who connected it from an external socket that was installed specifically for the observatory. I will have him come back to wire the obsy as well.  Playing safe here ;)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Physopto said:

Good point Ian.

It depends upon if it is wired permanently into the mains I believe. You can use a junction indoors and connect that to a 13 amp socket by plug. Maybe not he best method but frees you from  a permanent installation. The cable can be put into black water pipe as Gina has mentioned rather than the blue.

To be quite honest the best method is to use a ring main anyway from the main supply fuse box in the house. In the end it depends upon what you want and can afford. As long as it is safe, properly tested and certified if needed. A single high amperage cable will be OK if it is a plug connection and the current is limited to well below the cable rating, 13 amps maximum for the plug.

If you do not know what you are doing always get an certified electrician to do the work.

Derek

From my own re-wiring (and questionable memory) a lot depends on the cable run distance (as to whether you can ring main it or not).  And that can also affect the earthing requirements.  So in the case of my garage supplied from it's own dedicated breaker in the house, the house supply has it's earth provided by the electricity supply (no spikes in the ground) but the cable run distance to the garage meant it needed an earth spike in the ground (i.e. could not take it's earth through the supply cable from the house).

With spurs I believe you are only allowed one spur per ring main.  So when I was working on my upstairs cabling I ended-up extending the ring (as there was already a spur on the ring).

Personally I'm a great believer in RCDs, so I'd always say that if you house electrics are old enough not to have an RCD then I'd suggest getting one fitted.  And if there is not room you can always have an MCB swapped for an RCDO which is a single width so can normally just be a simple swap-out - providing RCD protection on the single circuit.

So I must emphasise I am not a professional and thus cannot offer advice (only my amateur thoughts).  And the beauty of forums like this is that there are bound to be several processional electricians here who can come and post everything I'm wrong about.

Ian

• Like 1

Finally managed to make a bit of progress on the build. The electrical armoured cable is now in, protected by steel pipe. I've also installed a membrane under the floor as it was a real slug fest below it.

I've also built the roof. Not entirely finished but it seems to work ok. I've used simple castor wheels 40mm in diameter. They work like a charm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PACK-OF-6-FIXED-WHEEL-BLACK-NYLON-CASTORS-40mm-x-17mm-WHEEL-66-x-25-PLATE-

Next week i'll focus on the cladding. considering Cedar to make the obsy looks quite nice but is also maintenance free. I also need to get the roofing protection. Considering EPDM membrane as it seems quite more durable and maintenance free as well.

Has anyone got experience with EPDM? Is it easy to install?

Screen Shot 2016-05-29 at 19.55.21.png

• Like 2

I would not use EDPM, I believe it will not breath. Then any damp will rot the wood. I would look at Tyvek as it is breathable, not sure of the price though. See if a builder has off cuts cheaper. Last if possible leave a small gap between the outer wood and the Tyvek to allow air to circulate.

Derek

I've had an EPDM liner in my pond for over 20 years but that obviously isn't bothered by damp :grin:

Don't know if Tyvek is UV proof as it wouldn't usually be exposed to sunlight.

Dave

Tyvek is used all over the world as far as I know. Never used it but from what I have seen I would. I have seen houses covered in it left unclad  for months without any signs of damage. 

EPDM is easy to install.  It's quite heavy; a piece 4m x 3m weighs about 30Kg and it half killed me lifting onto the roof.   You can cut it with household scissors or once glued down use a stanley knife to trim.  It's essential to lay it onto a dry surface (my roof is OSB) on a warm dry day for best results.

The rubber will be supplied folded and needs to be laid out flat for an hour to ease out the creases (photo).  The acrylic adhesive has about 30mins working time and will set in 6 hours.  You can use a paintbrush or roller to slap this on.  Buy cheap ones and bin them after use. Its not worthwhile trying to clean them.  The contact adhesive goes tacky in 10mins so use for small areas at a time.  It sticks instantly and cannot be removed so be careful when folding the EPDM around corners and other fiddly areas.

I bought Classicbond from here - http://www.rubber4roofs.co.uk/  There are other suppliers as well.   Click the Training menu and see the videos, instruction manuals and FAQs.  I found them very helpful.

Obsy137.jpg

• Like 3

Yes, it's what I used on my observatory roof - both ROR and warm room - very east to apply and makes a good job.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By orfest
      [A few more photos are in the imgur album]
      Made this telescope for observing sunspots. The Sun gets projected onto a piece of paper after bouncing from 3 mirrors inside the frame.

It's compact, light, takes only a few seconds to point at the Sun, and sketching sunspots is as easy as circling the spots on a piece of paper.

It can even project the Moon:

The design is inspired by a commerically available telescope, but I’ve done all the designing myself, just for the fun of it.
      Sunspotter is full of little details that make it interesting. How do you fix the eyepiece in the exact place where it needs to be? How do you keep the lens in place and perfectly aligned?
      Building the telescope was a lot of fun, I’ve learned to use a jigsaw, X-Carve and a 3D printer. The plan is to use it to complete the Astroleague Sunspotter Observing Program, but unfortunately I completed it at the minimum of a Sun cycle, and won’t see any sunspots until next year.

Telescope parameters:
      Magnification: 75x Size: 41cm x 41cm x 15cm Weight: 1kg Design: Keplerian Projection size: 75mm Materials needed:
      Lens: Ø52mm f=750mm achromatic doublet Mirrors: 1, 2, 3 Eyepiece: Baader 10mm ortho 1.5m² of 10mm plywood Wooden glue 5m of PLA filament 12 nails Compressed air Isopropyl alcohol Tools I used:
      Jigsaw with a 30° bevel capacity X-Carve 1000 3D printer A laser pointer Clamp Learned modelling basics in:
      LibreCAD Easel TinkerCAD Fusion 360  
      Part 1: Choosing the lens
      The idea of a sunspotter is that the light goes through the lens, travels inside the telescope, bouncing from 3 mirrors, enters an eyepiece and the image gets projected on one of its sides.
      The distance the light travels before entering an eyepiece is the focal length and it determines the size of the telescope.
      I chose a Ø52mm f=750mm achromatic double. Observing the Sun doesn’t require a large aperture, 50mm is more than enough. I wanted a high magnification and went for the longest focal length I could find, which was 750mm. Achromatic doublet design is what people use in refractors. If it is good enough for a refractor, it’s definitely good enough for my project.

With the focal length chosen I could design the wooden parts. A drawing showed that the frame needed to have sides 30cm long, but I wasn’t sure about the placement of the mirrors and went for 31cm sides, planning to shorten the light path as needed by adjusting mirror positions.
      This is the LibreCAD drawing of the layout of parts on a piece of plywood:

Part 2: Building the base
      Having a drawing of the base in LibreCAD, I printed the drawing 1:1 scale on multiple A4 sheets of paper and glued them together. I transferred the drawing to a piece of cardboard and cut it out.

Applied this cardboard template to the sheet of plywood, and cut out two parts with a jigsaw.. I’m not an experienced user of jigsaw, and couldn’t manage to cut half-circles accurately enough. Even worse was that the two parts were very different. I didn’t want the frame to randomly tilt left or right when adjusting its altitude, and had to spend a lot of time with sandpaper to make the halves as similar as I could.

Glued the two large parts with three small parts in the middle. Additionally nailed the parts and the base was ready.

Part 3: Frame
      The frame is simply a triangle made of three pieces, with short sides cut at a 30° angle. Most jigsaws can cut at 45°, but not at 30°. Had to buy a new jigsaw with a 30° bevel capacity.
      Cut out three sides, cut short sides at a 30° angle, but didn’t put them together just yet.
      The lens needs to be perfectly aligned with the Sun-facing part of the frame, otherwise the Sun projection isn't circular but elongated.
      My solution was to carve a hole with a little step as shown on the image.

The inner hole is Ø46.5mm, the outer hole is Ø50.8mm.
      The outer hole is the exact size to let the lens fit, but with a little bit of friction. Had to carve several holes to find the minimal size the lens could fit in.
      The step is just large enough to have enough surface for the glue to keep the lens in place, I didn't want to reduce the aperture too much.
      I used an X-Carve for carving and Easel for modelling.

With all 3 sides ready, I could assemble the frame. It appeared that my 30° angle cuts were not very precise, but after some sandpapering the sides started fitting together alright. Glued the parts together and left them to dry for a day. To apply some pressure on the joints, I wound several twine loops around the frame really tight, made sure all sides fitted well together and left it to dry like that for a day.

Part 4: Mirrors
      When selecting mirrors I was looking for the smallest mirror that fit the cone of light. Small mirrors are a lot easier to place, and they let me better control the length of the light path. I considered using elliptic mirrors, but they were bulky and really hard to place. All mirrors are first surface mirrors, otherwise planning their locations would be a lot more confusing.
      This was my original plan of placing the mirrors:

As you can see, all the angles and distances were carefully measured, and I wanted to simply make mirror holders of those exact dimensions. This was clearly a bad idea.
      I 3d-printed some parts like this:

And only later I realized that the frame angles are not exactly 60°, and that there are drops of glue along the edges that don’t let me fit the pieces deep enough in the joint between the sides.
      I cut angles from all the mirror holders:

After I put the first mirror in place I realized the angles are all wrong, and that I needed to re-do the holder. Separating the mirror from the holder was a huge pain, which resulted in an accident. The mirror fell off the desk and got damaged.

Luckily, only the back side got damaged, the front side was still working:

The final designs of mirror holders looks like this:

The holes in the front surface let me apply pressure on the back of the mirror if I ever want to separate it from the holder. The recesses collect the excess glue to avoid mirror skewing when gluing them.
      All other holes are simply to save the filament.

Part 5: Placing mirrors
      What I learned is that you can’t plan positions of several pieces with high precision and just hope that it all comes together. I needed a feedback about the precision of mirror positions.
      I used a laser pointer to verify mirror positions at each step.
      In the picture you can see that the laser is firmly set in a hole in another piece of wood, with layers of isolation tape on the tip of the laser pointer to make it stable. A clamp holds the piece of wood in place, ensuring that the laser ray goes in the same direction as a solar ray would. A crosshair of black thread at the center of the lens ensures the laser goes exactly through the center of the lens.

When placing each mirror, I marked the spot where I expected the laser to end up. While gluing the mirror holder to the frame, I kept the laser as close to that spot as possible. If for some reason, the laser couldn’t hit the expected spot, I did my best with placing the mirror, and recalculated locations of the following mirrors.
      I saw the first sunspots after placing all the mirrors and simply holding an eyepiece in hand.

Part 6: Eyepiece holder
      I tried eyepieces of different focal length and liked the picture I got with a 10mm eyepiece the most.
      An eyepiece needs to be in a very exact spot to produce a sharp image. At this point it was obvious that my frame doesn’t match the model, and that I didn’t even know what exactly was wrong with the frame. I didn’t want to rely on the model and moved forward with trial-and-error.
      I printed several parts to hold the eyepiece, with different eyepiece locations:

The part in the photo was a total disaster. It needed quite a lot of filament, at the same didn’t have enough surface area to be glued to the frame, and not enough surface area to hold the eyepiece firmly.
      The next iteration was a lot better:

This part has a lot more surface area, and needs less filament to be printed. I intentionally printed the hole for the eyepiece too small, and had to sandpaper it a little bit, to make the eyepiece stay firmly fixed.
      Adjusting the focus is done by sliding the eyepiece up and down until the Sun becomes a circle with well defined borders.

Part 7: Dust
      All optical parts should be kept clean. Dust on the mirrors and the lens will make the image darker. Dust on the eyepiece will show up as artifacts on the projected image. Unlike sunspots, the artifacts will not move with the Sun. To clean the eyepiece I used compressed air. To clean the mirrors I used isopropyl alcohol.

Part 8: Fire safety
      Don’t leave devices with magnifying lenses lying around. Once the Sun happened to be in such a spot that its light went right through the lens, burning through the cap of the eyepiece. Luckily, nobody was hurt and no other damage was done.

Part 9: Future work
      Build quality of the base is very poor. The frame tilts sideways when adjusting its altitude despite all my efforts. I’d like to build a new base, but leave all the work to the machines. I already have a model for an X-Carve to make both base parts, compatible with my current frame:

A notch along the edge of the half-circle should eliminate the tilt. The precision of the machining should make the base very stable. Maybe next year, when sunspots become a common daily sight, I’ll get to this project.

Thank you for reading this far!
      I hope you enjoyed it.
    • By long_arms
      Hello, 
      It's been a long time since I've posted in this forum, anyway I've picked up a Skywatcher 200p F/6 dobsonian as a DIY project whilst I continue to work on a new telescope from scratch, (I've started to grind the mirror). 
      I'll be making improvements to this dobsonian as a project and learning experience, I've already got a temperature controlled fan which has a probe that can measure both mirror and ambient temperature. I'll be measuring the primary mirror with my in progress Foucault/Ronchi/Bath Tester when that's finished in the next couple of weeks,  may even refigure it depending on results.
      But I'm most excited about this right now. The blackest Black Paint as an alternative (hopefully better alternative) to flocking!
      This stuff is seriously black and flat, I backed it on kickstarter and received 3 bottles along with goodies.

I plan on painting the area opposite the focuser, area around the primary mirror, inside the focuser drawtube, potentially the secondary mirror holder and edge of the secondary also. 
      It's a shame I don't have any flocking to compare it with but it looks incredible. 
      This video shows just how impressive it is (moreso than my little tester I've done).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJIIzcbRD9w

I'll try and get some decent before and after pics. 

Dan

• By BLT_Astro
      Hi everybody - I wanted to share my experience of designing and building my own observatory. It is a unique octagonal design and offers pros and cons to more common designs often utilised by the amateur community. If you are considering an observatory project, I hope it gives further inspiration and allows you to find a solution that works for your site, skills, budget and observing aspirations. The story is on my website, link here:
      https://www.bltastro.com
      Clear skies!

• By Phillips6549
      Tickets (free) are now available for the Birmingham University "Astronomy in the city" event on 6th March.   Sounds like an interesting evening for newcomers like me.
      The agenda includes
      What to see in the sky this month, 
      A talk on super novae
      Ask the experts
      An observing season
      And tea and biscuits! 
      http://www.sr.bham.ac.uk/observatory/astronomyinthecity.php
    • By JemC
      In the famous words of Bilbao Baggins, I'm going on an adventure!
      Almost 2 years ago i got rid of my old shed with the intention of replacing it with a R O R shed, 
      Well a lot has happened since then, but no R O R shed ? No way i could build one, my DIY skills are rubbish.
      My mount and scope plus other bits have sat in the garage ever since, mainly because it's such a pain to drag everything out and set up only to be thwarted by cloud/rain, so i decided that they would stay in the garage until the arrival of R O R shed,
      so fast forward 2 years.....
      Well! while browsing some astro sites i happened across an advertisement which said something like wooden observatory for sale, 7ft x 7.5ft, buyer to dismantle and remove, so me being in need of one had a look at the pictures he posted, that will do nicely i thought, so i contacted the seller and asked for more info and pictures,
      It's not a roof that rolls off onto supports, it turns out 1/2 of the roof rolls over the other 1/2 with a front section of the shed that drops down,
      I was happy with what i received from the seller, he couldn't have been more helpful and seems a really nice bloke, 
      Right then, where are you located mate i asked, 
      Bovey Tracey he replied,
      to be honest, i had never heard of it, so time to consult google maps..
      Well it turns out it's only about 270 miles one way from my house in Lancashire ? (so round trip of approx 540 miles)
      Time to make a decision, do the positives outweigh the negatives, is it going to be a cost effective solution in getting my R O R shed ? 
      after doing some calculations and a little more contact with the seller, the answer to the 2 questions above is YES  ?
      I have hired a box van for this coming Saturday,shangied my brother in law to accompany me and..
      I'm going on an adventure to Bovey Tracy to dismantle it and give it a new home in sunny Lancashire,
      even though my DIY skills are rubbish i feel i have to give this a go,
      All in with the cost of The Obsey (as it is now known until i can think of something better) and with the hire van/fuel and brother in laws dinner
      it's going to set me back approximately £570 and a day out, I'm well chuffed with that, the cheapest quote i had to have one built was £1000
      I have a couple of pictures of the obsey in it's current location if anyone would like to see them,
      Sorry to waffle on so long,
      Thanks for reading
      JemC

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.