SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Which filter wheel?

Daniel-K

I went for the Atik EFW 2 as i have a Atik 414EX, the Atik supplied software makes it very easy to use although this would require a Laptop or PC, it can't be used manually as its enclosed in aluminium case, there are some Chinese FW's  that don't require a PC.....

Chinese Type

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/filter-wheels/manual-5-position-filter-wheel.html

Atik

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/filter-wheels/atik-efw-2-filter-wheel.html

Hi Dan

hope you are happy with the camera, there are some 9 position 1.25" filter wheels on eBay from China, for around £70, and there are lots of manufactures that buy these and put there name on them, they look very solid and well made to be honest, might be worth a punt.

you would get all your filters in this and still have room for more if you choose.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-25-Multiple-9-Position-Manual-Filter-Wheel-for-Telescope-Eyepiece-tracking-/201467998583?hash=item2ee86db177:g:HQcAAOSwniRWNtdU

this seller has good feedback and I have used before

hope this helps

I have one of those 9 position wheels which I reviewed here. I had a few initial issues with stiffness but I'm pretty happy with it for my use case (EAA). It is also very useful for storing filters, for taking darks, and as I leave the camera permanently mounted to it and shoot through a clear [C] filter when I'm not using the other filters, I find that it does a great job of keeping dust off the sensor.

Martin

The Atik EFW2 and SX wheels stand out as being the best, the Atik nudging ahead (IMHO) due to the excellent central bearing and stable carousel. The SX wheel is quicker to disassemble (tool less) to replace filters if that's important to you. The important things about wheels are that they are light-tight, have a stable carousel and index accurately (so the filters are held repeatably in exactly the same position each time, that way your flats always line up with the lights). I did have an Xagyl wheel for a time but it was less well made and I didn't like the rattling noise it made - tis was normal for the way it worked using a little nylon worm drive, but disconcerting nonetheless.

ChrisH

11 hours ago, Daniel-K said:

I'm looking around for a 1.25" filter wheel. I can't really see any that stand out.

I'll be using it with my atik 424ex. It would have to be manual for the time being as well. 

Danny

I had this one for about a year before getting my starlight express usb wheel

http://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/products/accessories/filter-wheel-5-position-1-25″-manual/

Mark

Some things to think about, The CCD needs to be screwed onto the Filter Wheel so its light tight and stable, Filter are not always para-focal so every time the filter changes you will need to re-focus, there is software SGP for one that will automate all of this, the other option manually do it all just made me go cold.......

I used a manual wheel till fairly recently. It's no big deal. I still focus manually. You may or may not find your rig parfocal but I do find both of mine to be so. What you have to watch with manual wheels is light ingress, particularly if taking flats from the twilight sky. If you keep them dark they're fine. Personally I feel that electric wheels are very nice but very expensive and I'd class them as a luxury rather than a priority. They will give you a bit more work but the effect on the final image could easily be precisely zero.

Olly

9 hours ago, Tinker1947 said:

Some things to think about, The CCD needs to be screwed onto the Filter Wheel so its light tight and stable, Filter are not always para-focal so every time the filter changes you will need to re-focus, there is software SGP for one that will automate all of this, the other option manually do it all just made me go cold.......

as much as I like the look of the electric filter wheels they are blumming expensive. 

at the moment I'm still trying to scrap some funds for other bits so it will have to be an upgrade down the line. 

If I get back into AP serious Ince again then I'll think about putting up another roll off roof like in my old house but until then it will have to be manual. I'm sure it's not that much of pain tinker.

Archived