filters

Hi all.  Finally got around to purchasing a moon filter.  Last night was the first time I used it and was amazed by the detail I was able to get of the moon using my 10mm eyepiece and a 2x barlow (I have a Heritage 100p scope).  Forgetting I had the filter on the EP I decided to take a look at Jupiter  This was the most detailed and clearest view I was able to get, having never been able to use the 10mm with barlow before due to focusing issues.

My question is:  was the better view I had likely to be due to the filter, or just ideal viewing conditions (this was 3am, but I view Jupiter at this time before).  If it was due to the (blue) moon filter, is there a better type of filter I should use for planetary viewing?

Thanks in advance

Fey.

I had a set of filters, but the threads on them was poor and I have to be honest and say I never found, given my kit and observing location, they made any noticeable benefit for me, but I am not convinced I have the best eyes for observing anyway. The one filter I do use is a "moon filter", though it is just a "neutral density" filter, and when the Moon if more than a sliver, it helps reduce the brightness and possible improves contrast.

James

Fey, does your filter have anything, a number perhaps, written on the ring? Most Moon filter are Neutral Density (ND) and I would not expect them to be particularly "blue".

As they are primarily intended to cut down on light, very useful on the Moon, I would not expect a ND filter to help much on Jupiter. Coloured filters on the other hand block certain wavelengths of light thereby increasing the visible impact of other colours. An 80A or 82A (darker and lighter blue respectively) can be very beneficial on Jupiter.

2 hours ago, Putaendo Patrick said:

Fey, does your filter have anything, a number perhaps, written on the ring? Most Moon filter are Neutral Density (ND) and I would not expect them to be particularly "blue".

As they are primarily intended to cut down on light, very useful on the Moon, I would not expect a ND filter to help much on Jupiter. Coloured filters on the other hand block certain wavelengths of light thereby increasing the visible impact of other colours. An 80A or 82A (darker and lighter blue respectively) can be very beneficial on Jupiter.

There are no numbers that I can see on the filter.  Looking through it, it definitely has a light blue tint.  The site I bought it from (amazon) advertised it as a moon filter, but with little other detail.

Archived