Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Imaging Comet Catalina with a 130PDS and DSLR

Hi Guys, 

I would like to have a go at imaging C/2013 US10 Catalina this month as it moves higher towards Polaris.

Can anyone give me some tips on imaging comets(ISO/Sub length)? This will be my first attempt as so far I have only imaged the Moon or the Messier DSO's with my 130PDS. Will I actually be able to capture anything with a DSLR or do you need a webcam? I dont have autoguiding working at the moment as PHD software is not running on Windows 10. However I can get unguided subs of between 60-90 secs with my HEQ5 mount with decent alignment. 

My final query is locating the Comet itself. I cant find a decent star chart that plots the Comets progress through each day of the month. With the weather so unpredictable or predictable depending on how you look at it, a chart would be useful so I can run out and set up quickly if we get a break in the greyness. I'm assuming the comet is not in the list of objects on the Synscan hand controller?

Any help much appreciated, 

Thanks, 

George :) 

if you have Stellarium installed, you can get the RA and DEC from that and then input the co-ordinates (or so i believe!). If you don't have stellarium it's well worth getting, totally free and highly regarded piece of software.

I've imaged it with various setups you should be able to do it OK with yours , bit of trial and error with ISO800 / 1600   30 / 60 sec's depending on local light pollution and experiment.

Easier to find it when it's close to something bright, I believe it's scheduled to pass Kembles Cascade and associated NGC object shortly so that would make a nice pic.

Dave

You can run the date forward in Stellarium to see where it's going to be

I took 60 x 1 min subs at iso 800 on my astromaster 130. I found stacking 30 of them better though as there was a fullish moon and got gradient. 

So 30 plus 1min subs at iso 800 will be my starting point for the next time with no moon

Thanks guys! Think its clearing up for a while later tonight so will give it a go and share the results. 

Robin, apologies what i should of said is the Starshoot Autoguider drivers are not installing correctly on Windows 10. PHD runs fine. Apparently theres a way round it by installing the driver while windows is in a different compatibility mode, trying to figure this out now......:dontknow:

Archived