SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Telekit Dobsonian

Singlin

The quality of the wood is first class and it arrives with a suprisingly good level of finish which makes the first sanding down very quick.

When the manual arrived I was a bit awe inspired when I saw the list of all the parts. When I opened the boxes I relaxed as all the hardware is divided into labeled platic sacs relevant to eaxh chapter in the manual. On each sac label is a description of each .

Whenever I was not sure I gave Randy Cunningham a ring at 08:30 colorado time (any later he is in his workshop and dies not answer)and he would be very helpfull.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The offset is 'fixed' when the secondary is glued to the secondary stalk, so no need to adjust it, assuming you offset it when gluing the secondary in place. I say gluing, I mean siliconing of course.

The secondary will show in the very centre of a star test only when exactly centred in the field. I find star tests very hard to decipher and as a result tend to rely on a physical collimation only. If the views are good then don't worry too much. Splitting close doubles and high levels of lunar/planetary detail are good enough for me.

Wonderful project and location. You clearly have a good eye and skilled hand.

Thanks Moonshane.

I have just been on the phone with Randy from Telekit and he said for scopes that are F4 and above not to bother with the offset as visualy you would not see a difference and collimation is more complicated. The  stalk therefore has no offset built in.

I tend to agree. The secondary collimation affects the views hardly at all. As long as it's okay and close enough it matters not. The primary is both easier to adjust and more critical;  a most unusual but convenient combination!

john Nichol asked me for the distance from the center of the secondary mirror to the lip of my focuser where the eyepiece slots in and calculated the my secondary was big enough not to warrent offset.

Sorted.

I am preparing the scope for our local starparty this weekend and have been making some arrangments.

I moved the rocker box limit screws further back as my mirror cover would drop out when i put the scope horizontal.

IMG_20160831_125019.jpg

Archived