Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Telekit Dobsonian

Singlin

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I painted the mirror board flat black on the inside and put the last coat of varnish on the outside.

I have only seen a couple of Dobs before and to be honest the mirror board with all of its components looked a bit daunting when I flicked through the manual.In the end the whole process is quite simple which is a tribute to the excellent manual.

I have been very carefull not to get too excited during the build and jump steps before the previous one is completly finished, I just had to put my mirror on the board to see if it fits.

This is the first stage during the build that I feel completly relaxed and really satisfied.

IMG_20160813_202312.jpg

IMG_20160813_194626.jpg

IMG_20160813_194700.jpg

IMG_20160813_194759.jpg

I was not aware that the barrow handles have to be mounted so that the higher front side of the rocker box has to face forward.

I tried to wheel the the scope only for it to shoot forward out of the rocker box onto the floor.

No damage and after re -reading the manual did I realize that the high side of the rocker box has to be facing forward.

:icon_biggrin:

Thanks.

First light tonight. 

The only problem I have is that the Secondary holder's flange at the base of the mirror (shoulder) is too deep.

This means that the bottom part of the secondary is hidden.

I have collimated anyway and will use it as is until the replacement arrives next week.

I have already tested the Passive Sky Commander encoders and it works great.

I have just wheelbarrow ed the scope up my escarpment to the viewing area near my Observatory.

The jet stream corecast was poor and sure enough when I did my 2 star alignment for the Sky Commander the seei g was not great.

At about 22:30 the sky was quite dark and the milky way in view so i decided to have a peepe before the moon showed up. The sky Commander is very simple and efficient in directong you to targets.To makes the process even more efficient I added the currently visible targets to my Favorites which saves time in selecting them.

The scope neede only a slight pressure with my thumb and 2 fingers to move the scope.I filled a small black digital camera zip up pouch with wheel balancing lead strips and hung it off the top of the truss opposite my focuser and covered it with the lycra scope cover. This provided perfect balance.

I was not expecting much with the bad seeing but I was still taken aback by the luminosity and detail regardless of the seeing. Albirio showed how the scope shows beautifull defi ition of colour.

I was suprised how easy it is to move the scope , the efficiency and simplicity of the Sky Commander and John Nichols mirror gave me the wow ! Factor even with bad seeing. 

This kit is of first class quality and design, easy to build and efficient. Combined with a first class mirror you have a scope of a lifetime.

IMG_20160821_201753.jpg

Archived