Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Telekit Dobsonian

Singlin

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes I will be doing it myself.

Years ago I did a 51 week intensive traditional boat building course run by the Marine Builders Training Trust in Woolston Southampton.

I feel pretty confident and am looking forward to start.

I almost went for an 18" but as the scope is going to be used for showing adults and children the heavens i felt it a more appropriate size.

I once had the chance to look through a 20" and a 16" scope on the same night and felt that the user friendliness of the 16" outweighed the increase of aperture of the 20" infact I was surprised how close they were in performance visually.

On 31 January 2016 at 20:20, Demon Barber said:

Our good lo tax system will eat up the rest,the biggest ripoff imo is not only paying import  tax but getting charged vat on import tax ----go figure, it`s a bullet that has to be  bitten,

Mike

When I bought some gear from the USA I checked up for the import taxes etc,. For astro gear the import cost is 4.2% then the duty goes on top of that at 20%. So I just rounded it to 25% for guestimate. Funny though when I eventually got the gear it actually worked out a bit cheaper, not sure why? Our tax and import system don't try to do us any favours!

Derek

He He, I bought a small repair kit for my first scope handset, a Meade LX200. It was basically a tube of conductive rubber glue for repairing the push buttons. I paid 25 dollars for it and when it arrived the Post Office held it to ransom for another £14 pounds before they would let me have it. Go figure !

Derek

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats Singlin! I am so happy with my Telekits performance... this scope adds excellent contrast and the structure controls thermals very well-under my local seeing my 15" goes 400x-450x razor sharp a lot of the time. That wooden mirror cell works extremely well.

What is the f ratio of your mirror? I went 15" f4.8 for a 1828mm focal length- same as a 16" f4.5.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

My 16" Telekit Dobsonian from Astroaystems arrived today.

4 boxes in all and the second foto shows all the components layed out on my bench.

Import duty was 590 euros.

IMG_20160727_165714.jpg

IMG_20160727_180453.jpg

Archived