Narrowband

Hi everyone

Doctor House

Hello,

I'm Don, and I live in Angus, Scotland.  I've been a lurker here for a few months, just trying to get a bit of an understanding before buying anything.  Then I bought my wife a Skywatcher Explorer 200p for her birthday a few weeks ago, pointing out that there are few things in life as rewarding as sharing a gift with the person who actually gave it...

We have had a couple of trial runs so far - some time trying out the different bits of kit to see what they do, some time checking out the moon, and had our first view of Jupiter a couple of nights ago.  Absolutely fantastic with a couple of moons easily seen too.

It's so cold though!  Barely able to operate the controls!

Anyway, looking forward to joining in the forum chat.

Hello & welcome aboard to SGL Don.

There is plenty of information inside SGL & do not be afraid to ask any questions, people are very helpful.

I know you & your wife will have many enjoyable hours spent outside looking at the nights sky, some maybe cold! 

There is so much to see.

Andrew

Welcome.

As I am used to observing in the cold (clear skies often means cold nights), I want to give you some advice. Always dress up properly before observing, because you usually stay outside longer than planned. Seriously overdress with thick sweater, your warmest coat, really warm boots, muts and gloves, because you are sitting still. I use thin finger gloves for changing the eyepieces, and thick mittens over them when just viewing. Having a thick blanket available for over the thighs is a good idea. Use skiing trousers if you have those. I also use a (homemade) isolating skirt that I put on over my trousers (something like this: http://www.dntbutikken.no/main.aspx?page=article&artno=300850).

Archived