Problem running Stellarium

Hi all.

Have been trying to run Stellarium for some time now, but it will not open. The message I get is that ' Stellarium is open source software and has stopped working' When I ask it to go online to look for a fix and close program, it doesn't come up with anything and closes Stellarium.  I am running windows 7 64bit, and wonder if anyone else has had problems or knows how to fix. Thanks!

In the windows start menu under Stellarium there are some options for starting Stellarium. Try the option named "Stellarium (angle direct3d 9 mode)".  I've just downloaded the latest version (0.14.2) and ran it from the default icon and had problems myself (the tool boxes not displaying). I then ran the other option and it runs perfectly.

2 hours ago, Alastair Smith said:

' Stellarium is open source software and has stopped working' ...

That's a strange error message. 'Stellarium has stopped working' might be normal, but the addition of 'is open source software' is weird.

Where did you download your copy of Stellarium? 

You could try the PortableApps version run from a pendrive or flashdrive. It's x86 but it will run on x64 systems. I've used this a lot in the past.

Legacy Mode: Older PCs and PCs with lower-end graphics chipsets may need to set Stellarium to run in software rendering mode. This can be accomplished by copying the AppNamePortable.ini file from the StellariumPortable\Other\Source directory to the StellariumPortable directory, renaming it to StellariumPortable.ini and then editing the file so that the first line reads AdditionalParameters=--angle-mode and then saving.

http://portableapps.com/apps/education/stellarium_portable

2 hours ago, Ruud said:

That's a strange error message. 'Stellarium has stopped working' might be normal, but the addition of 'is open source software' is weird.

Where did you download your copy of Stellarium? 

Hi Ruud.

Downloaded from sourceforge      http://sourceforge.net/projects/stellarium/postdownload?source=dlp

Error message still reads 'Stellarium is a free open source planetarium has stopped working'.  The message then offers two options; Cneck online for a solution and close the program or Close the program.

4 hours ago, Cornelius Varley said:

In the windows start menu under Stellarium there are some options for starting Stellarium. Try the option named "Stellarium (angle direct3d 9 mode)".  I've just downloaded the latest version (0.14.2) and ran it from the default icon and had problems myself (the tool boxes not displaying). I then ran the other option and it runs perfectly.

Thank you for the info.....SUCCESS!!!

• 8 months later...

Hola amigos 

gracias por aceptarme, quiero Comentar Que Tengo El Mismo Problema,  antes con Windows XP no tenia Problema Pero con

Windows 7 Aparece el aviso de error Que ha Dejado de funcionar, Creo Que MARS1960 Tiene Razón y El problema es por la Tarjeta grafica.  Instale El Programa Veces Varias y Es imposible Que se abra.

Alastair Smith lograste Solucionar El problema 

por favor me pueden Ayudar ONU Solucionar El problema 

gracias 

1 hour ago, j-paul said:

Hola amigos 

gracias por aceptarme, quiero Comentar Que Tengo El Mismo Problema,  antes con Windows XP no tenia Problema Pero con

Windows 7 Aparece el aviso de error Que ha Dejado de funcionar, Creo Que MARS1960 Tiene Razón y El problema es por la Tarjeta grafica.  Instale El Programa Veces Varias y Es imposible Que se abra.

gracias 

Hello and welcome to SGL. Please post in English.

From the code of Conduct
"Official Language
English is the official language of our forums because it is the common language between our moderators and users. Because we can not moderate post/thread text in a foreign language, you may not post or have a signature in the forums in language other than English."

On 10/22/2016 at 01:16, j-paul said:

Hola amigos 

gracias 

Is this a good translation," Hello friends
thanks for accepting me, I want to comment that I have the same problem before Windows XP had no problem But with
Windows 7 error notice has stopped working, I think is right and MARS1960 The problem is the graphics card. Install Program Several times and it is impossible to open.
Alastair Smith did it solve the problem
please help me UN can solve the problem"

I had to download an old version to run on my XP computer. It does so well though.

I have Stellarium 0.10.2 installed on an ageing Apple iBook G4/PowerPC. When it loads, it appears that the GPU chipset, (it too has an ATI), has got corrupted or failed. The only way around I found is to leave it for about one and half to two seconds and then the Stellarium startup/splash screen will load as per normal. I think this is documented somewhere that this is a known issue, even with this release too. So it would  appear that Stellarium has had issues with ATI chipsets for sometime.

This early version of Stellarium does not have all the features of the up to date releases. It can only run at about 30FPS max. At least I know that when my IBM compatible PC & laptop are temporary unavailable, I still have something to fallback on...

...then again :iamwithstupid:<---me! :evil62:

Archived