Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

Tim

M76 -Little Dumbell or Pretzel Nebula

I wish I had the time to go back and re-stack and process all the data obtained over the years, with the benefit of new software and tools. Specifically, using Pixinsight.

But I don't so will just do the best I can with the remaining pictures in my "Still to be Done" folder. 

Pretty sure I haven't posted this one before here, although a version with the same data has been on astrobin for a while.

C11 Edge, Atik 428, Ha, Oiii, Sii, RGB filters all mixed, mashed, used and abused.

M76 has some really faint ears at the top end. They only show in Ha exposures, and even then, only just. Hardly ever see them in amateur images, and try as I might, I can't get enough signal from them to bring them out properly. A challenge for another day perhaps.

M76-HaOiiiSiiRGB-C11-EdgeHD-Atik428.jpg

• Like 21

That's a great rendition of an image that we often see rather small in the frame - I'd never really seen it in such a way before, Very nice indeed Tim :)

Another one "pulled outta that hat" ;)

The challenge of slow scopes at long FL really pays off on stuff like this... luv it Tim

err.. any 3 hr exposures for those "ears"?

Excellent image of a "tiny" target Tim, I've had a couple of goes at it with 10"SCT over the years, including recently, but it doesn't stay in the ideal spot for long, maybe next year :)

Dave

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By alan4908
      M76, which is also known as the the Little Dumbbell, Cork or Butterfly Nebula is a planetary nebula about 4.5 light years across and approx 4000 light years distant. It was formed about 10,000 years ago when the central dying star lost a huge amount of matter.  The structure of the nebula has two inner lobes and two fainter outer ones.  High Ha emissions are present along with OIII emissions which create a the teal (blue/green) cast.
      As for the title, the bright star reminded me of Sunrise on Earth, hence the name. 
      (For the more literal among you, the bright star is HD10498 which has apparent magnitude of 6.6, so you'd probably be unable to see this with the naked eye.  It's about 27x the size of our Sun and is approx 900 light years distant). 
      The LRGB image below represents over 15 hours integration time and was taken with my Esprit 150.
    • By alan4908
      M76, which is also known as the the Little Dumbbell, Cork or Butterfly Nebula is a planetary nebula about 4.5 light years across and approx 4000 light years distant. It was formed about 10,000 years ago when the central dying star lost a huge amount of matter.  The structure of the nebula has two inner lobes and two fainter outer ones.  High Ha emissions are present along with OIII emissions which create a the teal (blue/green) cast.
      As for the title, the bright star reminded me of Sunrise on Earth, hence the name. 
      (For the more literal among you, the bright star is HD10498 which has apparent magnitude of 6.6, so you'd probably be unable to see this with the naked eye.  It's about 27x the size of our Sun and is approx 900 light years distant). 
      The LRGB image below represents over 15 hours integration time and was taken with my Esprit 150.
      Alan

LIGHTS: L:36, R:20, G:16, B:20 x 600s, DARKS:30, FLATS:40, BIAS:100 all at -20C.

• By Joaquim Q
      Hi, i..m on Stargazers Lounge for long time ago, but now i have a new scope at last!!! The scope is a Skywatcher classic200p dobsonian, and i received it just one month ago. I.m really happy with it. For now, i.m using the stock eyepieces that come with the scope, a 25mm and 10mm super plossl 52. Yesterday i was received a Celestron Omni barlow, and that expands my magnification range. I posted some pics with my set. 
      Congratulations to Stargazers lounge team, this is one of the best sites to learn about astronomy and equipment. 
      Besf regards to everybody 

• By Lucas_M
      A DSO image in planetary settings.
      This is the Eskimo planetary nebula. Small as they are, this one has less than 1arcmin.
      The image was taken with a C11 f10 and ASi224. No cut-off filter was used.
      The capture was made with Firecapture and 2s exposures. The final processing was in PI.

• By Cosmic Geoff
      Having seen another forum member's deep sky experiment with the ASI120MC camera, I tried the experiment myself.
      Here are e1e2 Lyrae, the Cat's Eye planetary nebula, NGC6210 and NGC6572 all imaged with a C8 SE and the ASI120MC.  The planetary inages are single image captures, while the double-double is processed from a short video stream. 
      I also tried M57, and while I could see it in purplish colour at an exposure of 8 secs, I could not get the Sharpcap live stacking to work.
      From an EAA point of view, this camera and planetaries are a definite hit, as the camera and laptop show them better than the eyepiece, and in colour. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.