Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Tim

M76 -Little Dumbell or Pretzel Nebula

I wish I had the time to go back and re-stack and process all the data obtained over the years, with the benefit of new software and tools. Specifically, using Pixinsight.

But I don't so will just do the best I can with the remaining pictures in my "Still to be Done" folder. 

Pretty sure I haven't posted this one before here, although a version with the same data has been on astrobin for a while.

C11 Edge, Atik 428, Ha, Oiii, Sii, RGB filters all mixed, mashed, used and abused.

M76 has some really faint ears at the top end. They only show in Ha exposures, and even then, only just. Hardly ever see them in amateur images, and try as I might, I can't get enough signal from them to bring them out properly. A challenge for another day perhaps.

M76-HaOiiiSiiRGB-C11-EdgeHD-Atik428.jpg

• Like 21

That's a great rendition of an image that we often see rather small in the frame - I'd never really seen it in such a way before, Very nice indeed Tim :)

Another one "pulled outta that hat" ;)

The challenge of slow scopes at long FL really pays off on stuff like this... luv it Tim

err.. any 3 hr exposures for those "ears"?

Excellent looking expanding clouds in the interior. Beautiful.

Tom

that is special that is Tim thumbs up to you

Excellent image of a "tiny" target Tim, I've had a couple of goes at it with 10"SCT over the years, including recently, but it doesn't stay in the ideal spot for long, maybe next year :)

Dave

Really like this, big image scale showing lots of detail, and a nice colour balance.

ChrisH

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Philip Terry
      I've tried to image this before, to no avail, but last night the imaging gods were on my side. This is a single shot, with minimal on-phone processing (I will stack and tweak more later, maybe). Amazing what these phones can do - even the pink/red shell is just coming tbrough. Meade LX200 8" SCT (circa 1992) plus Samsung Galaxy S10 in "Night mode" (about 20 s automated exposure).

• By stevewanstall
      Messier 57 is is just coming into a position for a decent look around 11 30 pm. IT is a colourful object and I thought it would give me a good target with which to practice my colour developing in PS/Lightroom. I have read so much about how to produce a LRGB image from the four stacked/calibrated luminance, red, blue and green images,  a lot seems contradicatory and some, when followed, gave me colour yes, but not as we know it. I am sure a fair chunk must be put down to me. Anyway, I now have a work flow which gives me colour, sometimes resembling what other people have obtained. Progess of sorts.
      This images is based on 114s subs at gain 139, offset 21.
      L 39, R 20, G 20, B 19
      Calibrated  and stacked in DSS (flats, dark flats and darks)
      Messier 57 Ring Nebula in Lyra

NASA: M57, or the Ring Nebula, is a planetary nebula, the glowing remains of a sun-like star. The tiny white dot in the centre of the nebula is the star’s hot core, called a white dwarf. M57 is about 2,000 light-years away in the constellation Lyra, and is best observed during August. Discovered by the French astronomer Antoine Darquier de Pellepoix in 1779, the Ring Nebula has an apparent magnitude of 8.8 and can be spotted with moderately sized telescopes.
      Equipment: Celestron 9.25 XLT at F10,  Skywatcher EQ6 Pro GEM, ZWO 1600MM Pro, ZWO EFW with ZWO LRGB filters, QHY5IIC guide camera on Skywatcher 9 x 50 finderscope, Celestron Focus Motor
      Software: Ascom 6, Eqmod, Cartes du Ciel, AstroPhotography Tool, PHD2

• By alan4908
      M76, which is also known as the the Little Dumbbell, Cork or Butterfly Nebula is a planetary nebula about 4.5 light years across and approx 4000 light years distant. It was formed about 10,000 years ago when the central dying star lost a huge amount of matter.  The structure of the nebula has two inner lobes and two fainter outer ones.  High Ha emissions are present along with OIII emissions which create a the teal (blue/green) cast.
      As for the title, the bright star reminded me of Sunrise on Earth, hence the name. 
      (For the more literal among you, the bright star is HD10498 which has apparent magnitude of 6.6, so you'd probably be unable to see this with the naked eye.  It's about 27x the size of our Sun and is approx 900 light years distant). 
      The LRGB image below represents over 15 hours integration time and was taken with my Esprit 150.
    • By alan4908
      M76, which is also known as the the Little Dumbbell, Cork or Butterfly Nebula is a planetary nebula about 4.5 light years across and approx 4000 light years distant. It was formed about 10,000 years ago when the central dying star lost a huge amount of matter.  The structure of the nebula has two inner lobes and two fainter outer ones.  High Ha emissions are present along with OIII emissions which create a the teal (blue/green) cast.
      As for the title, the bright star reminded me of Sunrise on Earth, hence the name. 
      (For the more literal among you, the bright star is HD10498 which has apparent magnitude of 6.6, so you'd probably be unable to see this with the naked eye.  It's about 27x the size of our Sun and is approx 900 light years distant). 
      The LRGB image below represents over 15 hours integration time and was taken with my Esprit 150.
      Alan

LIGHTS: L:36, R:20, G:16, B:20 x 600s, DARKS:30, FLATS:40, BIAS:100 all at -20C.

• By Joaquim Q
      Hi, i..m on Stargazers Lounge for long time ago, but now i have a new scope at last!!! The scope is a Skywatcher classic200p dobsonian, and i received it just one month ago. I.m really happy with it. For now, i.m using the stock eyepieces that come with the scope, a 25mm and 10mm super plossl 52. Yesterday i was received a Celestron Omni barlow, and that expands my magnification range. I posted some pics with my set. 
      Congratulations to Stargazers lounge team, this is one of the best sites to learn about astronomy and equipment. 
      Besf regards to everybody 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.