Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Beginners

rachie

Hi . I have joined this group as a novice.  I am searching for a group locally that myself and my son can attend as he is suffers from a rare condition affecting his ability to walk. We both have a liking for stargazing and he is very knowledgeable about astronomy physics even at the age of 10.

We do not have a telescope as yet, but would like to attend your next available meeting if that is possible? 

Thanks x

Hello & welcome to SGL,

We are a very friendly online forum, where you can get all your questions answered, with lot of help and information.

I would suggest that you check FLO website for your nearest astronomical society CLICK HERE its a link straight to the webpage and you will be able to find a group near to you.

I hope that helps you make contact, if not just post a question :)

Andrew

Welcome to SGL from another part of sunny Wales. I would think if you can get above your  "permahaze" , you could find some beautiful skies .

Don't rush into your first scope, get along to a local group and see what suits you best, esp with regards to budget, portabilty etc. Also don't  hesitate to pick brains on here, there's many only too willing to help. 

Good luck and keep in  touch 

Jason 

There's a lot of Welsh folk on SGL. You and your son are in good safe hands here. Have a look at the community threads here. Im sure you will find a group near you. Astronomy doesnt involve much walking or even standing around, if you cant/dont want to. Look at my picture to the left.

Welcome.

Welcome.

Astronomy is indeed a good hobby for someone not being able to walk easily. I can recommend you to buy a pair of (second hand) binoculars to get started at home, e.g. 50 mm wide.

You can also start installing Stellarium on your computer. It's for free and it can help learning the sky and finding planets and other objects.

Hi Rachie, welcome to SGL to you and your Son. Your nearest Astronomy Soc is some distance from you in Cardiff. In the meantime, you could consider what has often been recommended; to make a start in observing the night sky, is to purchase a pair of 10x50 binoculars. A reasonably good pair is always a useful aid, even when you have a telescope. Another purchase to consider is, the Astronomical guide "Turn Left at Orion, a most popular publication, resulting in many revisions and reprints, since it first appeared in1989, used by those starting out to the experienced Astronomer alike. Enjoy the forum :)

Hi rachie & son, welcome to SGL.

Good advice above on what to do/purchase to begin. One thing that some have may have forgotten... download Stellarium. Best of all it is free for many computers and tablet devices. There are also plenty of star charts that can be downloaded too. My favourite is TriAtlas. It comes in three PDF volumes. If you go for the full set it will fit on a blank CD-ROM.

Clear skies to both you.

Archived