Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep29_banner.thumb.jpg.da7f3b163f7bd35187cb558b0346baf6.jpg

I purchased a used Logitech Webcam C160. Turns out that the chip is from the Quickcam SP4. 640x480 1/8" sensor.

Would anyone here know which CMOS/CCD is it based on?

Quickcam Board.jpg

Hi Sathya. I have the Logitech C100 CMOS sensor (not QuickCam chip) webcam and am getting some good results from it when atmospheric conditions are very good. I had a quick search for specs and reviews for this webcam and sensor but didn't find much, not sure if it's CMOS or CCD yet. 640x480 video res max 30 fps, 1.3mp single shots (software enhanced interpolated).

You should be able to get better results than what I'm getting as I'm relatively new to AP. My better results where stacked frames from avi videos through my SkyWatcher Pro Series Mac150 with small extension tube, not Barlowed, manual tracking using AMCap software.

I have managed to run my C100 at 640 x480 with higher frame rate up to nearly 60 fps with another piece of software but data transfer is high on USB2 and it's dropping frames on my little low spec netbook. I'm still working on this issue between other tests.

747_250Frames ASl2 RS6 Final4b.png

Test 1 (Custom).png

Edited by Aussie Dave

Thanks Dave! I usually do planetary imaging with my DSLR at 640x480 and 50fps. The Logitech webcam is one of my latest experiments in using a bog standard webcam for autoguiding. I have not taken keen interest in planetary imaging, though I do dabble in Lunar imaging once in a while. I mostly like to do DSO's for their size and vivid colours.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

According to this listing on amazon it is a cmos http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Webcam-Sensor-Manual-Microphone/dp/B00XHAU6AY . Whether it is cmos or ccd these days doesn't matter.  The resolution is 640x480 sio I would expect the sensor size to be 1/4" not 1/8".

I measured the sensor and its about 3-4mm diagonal. If it is indeed 1/4" type cmos then I guess low light sensitivity would be good for guiding.

I've thought about webcam guiding myself, downloaded a couple of free guiding programs but don't know how to set it up or what to do from there.

Let us know if you have guiding success Sathya.

Dave, I've had guiding success using a dedicated Guidecam and PHD guiding software. Do let me know what setup do you have and I would be more than glad to help you out with getting started. :)

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now