Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

Cheap white light led torches are available anywhere and are very bright.

Are red light torches for the purposes of astronomy a lot dimmer? 

What is a good cheap one to get?

Thanks

Steve

13 minutes ago, jetset said:

Cheap white light led torches are available anywhere and are very bright.

Are red light torches for the purposes of astronomy a lot dimmer? 

What is a good cheap one to get?

Thanks

Steve

I don't think there are any good 'cheap' red light torches. I've got a Pellor. You can read a newspaper with this from several metres away it's so bright!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pellor-Flashlight-Stargazing-protecting-Dark-Adapted/dp/B00IYGCN8E/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1454020827&sr=1-1&keywords=Pellor+2014+New+Flashlight+Red

The Sky-Watcher red light torch isn't in the same league but I find mine useful, especially if I forget to charge the Pellor's battery properly lol!

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/red-light-astronomy-torches/skywatcher-dual-led.html

Edited by Mak the Night
  • Like 1

Lots of Cateye red led bike lights to choose from of various sizes and intensities. They are also USB chargeable in the case of the smaller button styles. Look at Evans Cycle store on line for example.

• Like 2

I have a Celestron with a dimmer switch to control brightness. About £10 from FLO

I still use my white light (few aussie dollars) covered with red cellophane, works a treat, the number of layers determines the brightness.

Cheers

6 hours ago, MarkJ44 said:

I still use my white light (few aussie dollars) covered with red cellophane, works a treat, the number of layers determines the brightness.

Cheers

Yes! A bright white LED torch, some red cellophane from The Range (very cheap), then experiment with how many folds of cellophane you want to get enough red light out of it.  Finally tape the cellophane across the end.  Job's a good 'un!

It really helps if you get a torch with a brightness control. Bright for finding the lense cap that you dropped and then managed to kick into the deep undergrowth as you bent down to pick it up. and, very dim for reading maps / checking eyepiece markings etc.

Paul

I did search around for a decent red torch, but there wasn't a great choice and the cheap ones seemed a little on the rubbish side. What I ended up with, and it's not cheap, £17 on Amazon, was the appallingly named Gerber Recon Task Light Torch. It's a white light with a filter wheel, covering red, green and blue. People seem to slag it off a lot as it's not bright enough, but it's extremely robust, metal casing etc, and if you're using it at night, for covert tactical reconnaissance or whatever other people use this for, then you don't want a super bright light. I was using the rear light from my bike at the time and it was too much, I had to shine it slightly away from the page. But 2 years on and I still have this torch, with the same battery, and it has been superb throughout.

I use a military headlight that I found on a camp site in a forest. There you can slide a red glas in front of the white light. Works well. But I am now ordering a small led light that you can clip on an atlas or a music stand. The white ones are cheap and I am planning on making it red.

Although the Pellor is bright on its highest setting it has become pretty indispensable to me. Regardless of the box image it only produces red light.

PellorA.jpg.97061169264fc809e718cf76e462

It isn't large at around 13cm in length and has a recharger supplied with it. 

PellorB.jpg.46193a8c14bb6e41e5e70164e5cf

For some reason they seem to be quoted as retailing at around £80 but everyone I know who has one (including me) got it for under 20 quid! Which makes me wonder if the RRP is some sort of marketing ploy (I am a tad cynical though lol). 

PellorC.jpg.705410d5d709b4666ff2eaf9583f

The charger and battery come with the torch and if you can get it for £20 or under I'd go for it. 

2 hours ago, Paul73 said:

It really helps if you get a torch with a brightness control. Bright for finding the lense cap that you dropped and then managed to kick into the deep undergrowth as you bent down to pick it up. and, very dim for reading maps / checking eyepiece markings etc.

Paul

Yes! I have a second, dimmer light in the shed for looking at charts etc.. It's a weaker torch, and employs the red lens from a pair of 3D specs!  

I got my torch at a hardware store,it`s a Brookstone, on/off switch press once white,twice red ,three blue,and fourth green;6 L E D`s.Top swivels 360 degrees,costs under £2.Des

I've also got the Pellor. It cycles through brightness settings and I found the initial setting was too bright. A couple of pieces of thick white paper between the lamp and the 'lens' sorted that out nicely. I also swapped the plug on the charger because it came with a cheap unfused Chinese plug.

On 1/29/2016 at 06:59, baggywrinkle said:

Red nail varnish...for the torch glass....not yer toes. Works well for me.

I read this in TLAO, i'd never thought of that till i saw it. Think i'll have to get some.

I have several head torches. None of which are the perfect torch. They are either too bright too dim or you have to cycle through white light to get to red. So when time permits I will change out the LEDs one or two of the ones I have for red LEDs and clearly mark them as such. That way I can tailor the brightness to suite what I want. I would like a really bright one for working on the scope and components when away from most people. Medium for general moving around and dim for just walking about so as not to accidentally blind others, (too easily done).

I have fitted my scope mount legs with dc driven red  LED instrument indicator lights shining down onto the feet. They are barely visible when dark, only the reflected light from the feet to stop tripping over them in the dark.

Too many people use far too bright red LED headlights and tend to blind others when they go walkabout. I know it is by accident but for the observers of us it can ruin their hard gotten night vision in an instant. ( I have done it unwittingly and when you realize your mistake it is more than annoying to both parties!  So far nobody has shot me  :) ). 

It takes so long to become night adapted for observers to be able to see the faint nebula!

I have white torches for when there is no one about but myself.

I normally carry a white LED torch with red film  fitted over the front, which I angle at the ground for walking about an astro event, then it is a simple matter of removing the film for normal vision when cloudy etc,.

Derek

On 29/01/2016 at 22:15, Stout Porter said:

I also swapped the plug on the charger because it came with a cheap unfused Chinese plug.

I use a circuit breaker adaptor plug on mine. 

On ‎28‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 22:46, Owmuchonomy said:

Lots of Cateye red led bike lights to choose from of various sizes and intensities. They are also USB chargeable in the case of the smaller button styles. Look at Evans Cycle store on line for example.

good idea but how effective are they for seeing? I always assumed that most bike rear lights are just designed to be seen rather than being built with an power to use as a torch.

In another thread, I have shunned the idea of any lighting in my observatory,  just too bright for my needs,  locating everything by feel and memory from within my Dob-tent,  yet  after reading a few items, and this thread, I'm drawn to the Celestron dimmable flash light, if I  were to invest in such a torch. Laudropb beat me too it as he has the very same torch.
http://www.firstlightoptics.com/red-light-astronomy-torches/celestron-night-vision-red-led-torch.html

Edited by Charic

I most use a Petzl headlamp with a built-in red filter which you can flip across the normal white. Three levels of brightness, plus extra-strong if you keep a second button pushed down. Designed for military use, it's the sort of lamp Chuck Norris would use if he needed a light (which of course, he doesn't).

I also have two Celestron Fire-Cels which came as a free offer. Single level of brightness, quite strong, and flashing. Also has a two-level handwarmer and supposedly can recharge cell phones from its lithium battery. The only problem is the buttons for the torch and the handwarmer are identical so it's easy to activate the wrong one.

40 minutes ago, Putaendo Patrick said:

I also have two Celestron Fire-Cels which came as a free offer. Single level of brightness, quite strong, and flashing. Also has a two-level handwarmer and supposedly can recharge cell phones from its lithium battery. The only problem is the buttons for the torch and the handwarmer are identical so it's easy to activate the wrong one.

I'm considering one of these.