Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

Hi all,

Just wondering what you all use to help you identify stuff.

I have both Star Chart and Sky View Free on iPhone, but I see there is an Ios version of stellarium available, and i'm umm-ing and ahh-ing about getting it.

Whaddaya all think?

ATB

Bob

I have SkyView as well, but just installed SkyEye, as suggested by aeajr, looks to be more detailed than SkeView.

SkySafari every time for me, it's a great app.

• Like 1

I have both Stellarium and Sky Safari 5 Pro on Ios.  I would recommend waiting until Sky Safari is on offer and buying that, it feels better and more intuitive.  The conversion from PC to phone for Stellarium is not the best, it loses a lot of functionatility eg limiting magnitude

I use both Stellarium and Sky Safari, both free and both good apps.

Cheers

Skysafari pro for me. Very very useful. Go for it, or maybe hang on and see if you can get it on offer as already suggested. 

Barry

The Skysafari apps are all on offer at the moment actually.  So $20 instead of $40 for the Pro version.  Not sure when offer ends - could be end of this month or early Feb from memory (I deleted the email from them)

Another vote for Sky safari. Get the pro version while it's on offer. Well worth it!

Cheers all,

Gone with skysafari, and i'll see how I go with it before a poss upgrade.

ATB

Bob

On 1/28/2016 at 20:17, Mrbloke said:

I have both Stellarium and Sky Safari 5 Pro on Ios.  I would recommend waiting until Sky Safari is on offer and buying that, it feels better and more intuitive.  The conversion from PC to phone for Stellarium is not the best, it loses a lot of functionality eg limiting magnitude

This....Andriod though.:hello2:

Skysafari - no contest on iOS anyway....

Edited by AstroAdam

I have several free apps, Skeye, Google and paid for Stellarium.

They serve my basic requirements but what I cant do is use them at the scope, their just far too bright, spoiling my night vision, and any chance that the GPS can be relied upon, Im sure is affected by the proximitry of the OTA!

Whatever you use, enjoy.

11 hours ago, Charic said:

I have several free apps, Skeye, Google and paid for Stellarium.

They serve my basic requirements but what I cant do is use them at the scope, their just far too bright, spoiling my night vision, and any chance that the GPS can be relied upon, Im sure is affected by the proximitry of the OTA!

Whatever you use, enjoy.

This is a really good point. You can't beat books and charts at the scope. Apps are good for planning and learning though! 

......even books? A red torch  is still too bright for my needs, yet  on  clear Moonless nights  away from my house, the Milky Way is sufficiently bright enough to see a Planisphere/chart with ease.
I'd hate to be totally blind (would be a pointless hobby) yet I'm skilled enough to do most things in total darkness (  life depended on it ?) so now, when I'm nestled inside my Dob-Tent, the only light that enters the 'Bivvy' is the light through the eyepiece!

Strange maybe, but that's the way I try to operate my telescope from my light polluted garden. I pre-plan if needed using whatever medium, then proceed to 'install' myself inside the tent, and observe until I've seen enough, If I discover something, I`ll confirm next time I'm back on the PC.

...even books... Well, one book - Turn Left At Orion. Invaluable to us newbies and great to use with a red light ?