Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Phone Apps

Hi all,

Just wondering what you all use to help you identify stuff.

I have both Star Chart and Sky View Free on iPhone, but I see there is an Ios version of stellarium available, and i'm umm-ing and ahh-ing about getting it.

Whaddaya all think?

ATB

Bob

I have both Stellarium and Sky Safari 5 Pro on Ios.  I would recommend waiting until Sky Safari is on offer and buying that, it feels better and more intuitive.  The conversion from PC to phone for Stellarium is not the best, it loses a lot of functionatility eg limiting magnitude

The Skysafari apps are all on offer at the moment actually.  So $20 instead of $40 for the Pro version.  Not sure when offer ends - could be end of this month or early Feb from memory (I deleted the email from them)

On 1/28/2016 at 20:17, Mrbloke said:

I have both Stellarium and Sky Safari 5 Pro on Ios.  I would recommend waiting until Sky Safari is on offer and buying that, it feels better and more intuitive.  The conversion from PC to phone for Stellarium is not the best, it loses a lot of functionality eg limiting magnitude

This....Andriod though.:hello2:

I have several free apps, Skeye, Google and paid for Stellarium.

They serve my basic requirements but what I cant do is use them at the scope, their just far too bright, spoiling my night vision, and any chance that the GPS can be relied upon, Im sure is affected by the proximitry of the OTA!

Whatever you use, enjoy.

11 hours ago, Charic said:

I have several free apps, Skeye, Google and paid for Stellarium.

They serve my basic requirements but what I cant do is use them at the scope, their just far too bright, spoiling my night vision, and any chance that the GPS can be relied upon, Im sure is affected by the proximitry of the OTA!

Whatever you use, enjoy.

This is a really good point. You can't beat books and charts at the scope. Apps are good for planning and learning though! 

......even books? A red torch  is still too bright for my needs, yet  on  clear Moonless nights  away from my house, the Milky Way is sufficiently bright enough to see a Planisphere/chart with ease.
I'd hate to be totally blind (would be a pointless hobby) yet I'm skilled enough to do most things in total darkness (  life depended on it ?) so now, when I'm nestled inside my Dob-Tent, the only light that enters the 'Bivvy' is the light through the eyepiece!

Strange maybe, but that's the way I try to operate my telescope from my light polluted garden. I pre-plan if needed using whatever medium, then proceed to 'install' myself inside the tent, and observe until I've seen enough, If I discover something, I`ll confirm next time I'm back on the PC.

Archived