Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Rosette smash & grab (Star 71)

Uranium235

Just a quickie really... the cloud cleared early enough for me to get a couple of hours on this before going to bed.

Two hours up at the moment, and probably needs another three to sort out the noise in the nebulosity just outside the main nebula, but its the first time ive had a go at this for a couple of years so there are a couple of interesting new features (ie: bok globs outside the main nebula - which at first I thought was a hair on the filter!).

Rosette nebula:

8x900 (Ha)

Star71, Atik 383L+, NEQ6

Thanks for looking! :)

24579281671_bd52bc7a35_h.jpg

Thanks guys :)

@ollypenrice , yeah maybe I did overdo it a little on some parts (was done selectively, mostly around the bok globs). I'll be a bit more subtle next time round - if I can restrain myself for a change! I probably wont need to process those areas of interest  so much once there is more data on board.

There ya go... something a little less "pokey pokey" :)  (a bit less sharpening and only one round of contrast enhancement - the original had two... perhaps thats what made it a little too crunchy).

Rosette_test_75_2.thumb.jpg.1f720ddc780c

Oh... thats nice, the new forum has a "full size" option now when you click on an uploaded image. Thats one for the pixel peepers!! BTW, this is uncropped to demonstrate the flatness im getting from the Star 71 (it truly is remarkable!).

The new softer version is spot on. I nearly cut my retina on the original! The Star71 is a corker of a scope and this is a fine advert for what it can do. When was this taken? I am presuming that it involved much moonlight? And with the humble Baader 'wide' narrowband Ha filter. Excellent!

What I would really like is a 2000mm focal length version of this scope. :icon_biggrin:

19 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

The new softer version is spot on. I nearly cut my retina on the original! The Star71 is a corker of a scope and this is a fine advert for what it can do. When was this taken? I am presuming that it involved much moonlight? And with the humble Baader 'wide' narrowband Ha filter. Excellent!

What I would really like is a 2000mm focal length version of this scope. :icon_biggrin:

Thanks Gav, there was a rising Moon to contend with so by the time I packed up, most of the dimmer stars in the sky had been wiped out. The first hour delivered probably the best data of the session.

Thanks Sara :)  Im still hunting for that "definitve" Star71 image. The Sword to Flame was nice, but that was with the effort spread out over a wide area - I'd like to try and put that amount of exposure into one frame - then we might have something a bit spesh ;)

Lovely image there Rob, but I'm going to go against the grain and say I prefer the first image. May be it's because I'm new to this lark (though not photography in general), but somehow it seems to be more 3-D than the softer image. To me it looks sharp, but not over-processed, and if the image can stand it, why not draw out what it has to offer? All answers on a postcard please to.....

I'll get me coat!

Ian

4 hours ago, Pompey Monkey said:

That's cracking. I too prefer the softer of the two images.

But how do you go so deep in just two hours? I had over 7hrs with the same chip at f4.5 on my 150 PDS, and I couldn't tease so much out. I stretched mine in PS. Is it a PI process?

I think it might have had something to do with the quality of the sky at the time, the transparency was really good (could see the MW overhead) that night. I think with a reflector too, a little of the contrast is lost, but the can usually be overcome by a good weight of data - 7 hours should be more than enough to bag this sucker.

No PI dark magic here, just plain old fashioned Photoshop ;)

3 minutes ago, Uranium235 said:

I think it might have had something to do with the quality of the sky at the time, the transparency was really good (could see the MW overhead) that night. I think with a reflector too, a little of the contrast is lost, but the can usually be overcome by a good weight of data - 7 hours should be more than enough to bag this sucker.

No PI dark magic here, just plain old fashioned Photoshop ;)

Milky Way? What's that? ;)

I see traces of it from here, directly overhead, about once or twice a year. The last time was actually during the lunar eclipse and it was quite magical.

Hopefully we'll be moving to somewhere a bit darker in the next couple of years :)

Archived