Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

cathalferris

AVX mount gear issues and other problems?

My AVX mount is having some issues, and I'm currently working with my retailer to resolve them. I'm curious though if anyone else is aware of similar issues to what I'm seeing?

• Sometimes during a long slew, the mount "hiccups" as the slew gets momentarily interrupted then continues, with some inaccuracies in slews after this occurs.
  • After a higher-speed slew, the mount starts making ticking noises, that match when the worm spur gear appears to repeatedly jerk as the drive is being taken up for normal tracking - as if the worm is sticking somehow.
  • The motor spur gear has maybe 2-3mm of lateral rocking movement (in the same plane as the gear) seen as drive is reversed.
  • Difficulties with contact over the handset serial port with the current (early Jan '16) firmware revisions on the mount and handset.

I have video of these behaviours, but as I'm working with the retailer I won't post them up until after we've worked it out with the UK supplier. I'm interested to see if my issues are one-off and confined to my particular example or fairly typical of this mount as a whole. I'm just hoping that I won't have to exchange another time, or to have to swap to a completely different manufacturer. Note that I'm currently quite happy with how my retailer is dealing with the situation which is why I've no need to name that retailer at the moment, but I'm becoming unhappy at how slow the Celestron upstream supplier is proving at the moment.

(I'm trying to use the mount for video astronomy, for video astronomy for outreach, and for the first steps into basic guided astrophotography. These issues make it more difficult to achieve these..)

I purchased a Celestron AVX German equatorial mount in November, 2014, and I have had no issues with mine.  I use an (optional) polar alignment scope to aligned the mount with the North Celestial Pole (NCP), perform the 2-star alignment from the hand control, and then add two more calibration stars to get the alignment spot-on.  No issues with my AVX mount.  I use the mount for astrophotography while using an AstroTech AT6IN astrographic Newtonian telecope and a Canon T3 DSLR camera.  No guiding necessary.  - Doug

3 hours ago, Doug S said:

I purchased a Celestron AVX German equatorial mount in November, 2014, and I have had no issues with mine.  I use an (optional) polar alignment scope to aligned the mount with the North Celestial Pole (NCP), perform the 2-star alignment from the hand control, and then add two more calibration stars to get the alignment spot-on.  No issues with my AVX mount.  I use the mount for astrophotography while using an AstroTech AT6IN astrographic Newtonian telecope and a Canon T3 DSLR camera.  No guiding necessary.  - Doug

Sorry to say Doug but your post doesn't add much other than you have never had issues at all which is great for you but the original poster detailed specific issues he was having...

It is possible that the original poster has updated their firmware recently. This my have caused issues with communicating via the Serial port though no one has heard back from Celestron Support to confirm despite repeated support cases.
It must be added this is not confirmed but everyone who has this issue has experienced it post firmware update.

Apologies if this post feels negative but I think like me people are getting frustrated by the lack of contact from Celestron...

Edited by Droogie 2001

Celestron do not have the best reputation for getting on top of things quickly. I hope the retailer is able to assist with this. The only other suggestion I can make is to raise the issue with Team Celestron and see if anyone there has had similar issues. You have to register as a Team Celestron member but it does not take long - worth a go perhaps.

Peter

Edited by PeterCPC
missed word

Thanks Peter. Do you meant 'don't' have the best reputation? :icon_biggrin:

Re-registered for Team Celestron 24 hours ago still no response. Logged 3 cases still nothing.

If there is a problem with the Firmware then they at least need to confirm it.

Yes of course I did - typo. Changed.

40 minutes ago, Droogie 2001 said:

Re-registered for Team Celestron 24 hours ago still no response. Logged 3 cases still nothing.

Not good is it?

Peter

No its pretty poor really. Their marketing skills are good but shame their Support is not.

emailed them again and asked a direct question about whether there is a known issue or not. Will post if I get a response...

Also found other people on other Astro forums seem to be having the same issues...

I would if I was you.

It is frustrating that there does not appear to be anyway to downgrade. Working within IT this is a standard feature...

Edited by Droogie 2001

I had upgraded from the as-shipped firmware, using the Celestron tools. Pre firmware upgrade I had no connection issues.
I've got my mount head and handset sent back at the request of the retailer, so unfortunately I can't verify the firmware numbers. I did update both the mount motor firmware, and the handset firmware as well.

When I get the replacement head and handset I will be refraining from updating the firmware, though that may go out the window if I end up purchasing a StarSense, as I think that may require current firmware levels to operate correctly. I'll cross that bridge if I need to. At least I do know that entering a submenu and returning to the menu top allows the serial connection to go ahead as normal, even with the new problematic firmware.

I'll pass on the pointers about the new firmware issues to the retailer, as they may be closer to the ear of the Celestron people, as the retailers may lose money due to this. @FLO this may be of interest to yourselves as well (as a heads-up).