Narrowband

Judge your sky with orion

Stub Mandrel

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 28/01/2016 at 09:47, Riemann said:

This is really helpful.   From memory the sky round our house is somewhere between 4 and 5, probably closer to 5, but I will have a systematic count next time I have a clear sky.   This is about right as I live in a medium sized village about 3 miles from the nearest town.

I went out last night and did a proper count.   I am nearer a 4 than a 5.    However, it was a good night for me as I nailed M81 and M82 with good views of both.   

Still struggling with nebulae - got M42 and M1 again but NGC2264 and others eluded me yet again despite trying a OIII filter to improve contrast.    Got some turqoise coloured stars with the filter on where a couple of nebulae should have been. I guess this is an indication of a nebula in front of the star, but could not see the nebula itself.      I guess it is going to have to be a properly dark site for these.

On 28/01/2016 at 10:00, spike95609 said:

Your skies sound similar to mine. With my 10" dob I can pick up a fair few faint galaxies but it is more hit than miss, living on the edge of the Black Country doesn't do wonders for the quality of my skies. Anything in the 11th magnitude I feel safe having a go at, beyond that it's unlikely.

Thanks for this comment - I found it very motivational that you can pick up mag 11 stuff on skies between 4 and 5.    Helped me persevere last night!

Peter

Hmmm...  Looks like a 4 for me in Slamannan (largish village) facing South, dropping away to a 3 perhaps even two into the North due to light pollution from Falkirk and Grangemouth.  Though I'm beginning to forget what the sky looks like after the winter we are having.  Please if there is a weather God, have mercy on us and give us all clear skies.

From my usual observation spot at hime, I see between 4 and 5 in (between large and small village). Not so bad for 30km from the capital. In autumn I could also just see the Milkyway, but now with all the snow, the porch lights from all neigbourghs and other light polution are reflecting too much and I don't see it anymore. And the snow will be there until april or so... Or is the Milkyway always less visible in the winter??

This weekend I'll be travelling to a truly dark place, but the weather forecast is clouds only for 3 days. I will bring along the telescope anyway, just in case.

Edit: When I checked this, Orion was not above the city. In that direction the light polution is quite substatial. So not my whole sky is 4-5. But luckily some directions are.

On 31.1.2016 at 14:55, Pompey Monkey said:

4 on a good night. I reckon I've had one "good" night in last four months.

Four months? Really?? That's shocking. Are you sure you don't have half good nights in between, like only half the night or half the sky? That's better than nothing. 

On 27/01/2016 at 22:10, Chris Lock said:

It's about a 3 here in Ipswich town.

Here about 8 miles north of Ipswich it's usually about 4 and a bit, but I've just looked and it's barely 3.  However, it seems to be a bad viewing night - lots of misty high cloud.  Earlier on I drove out to Shingle Street to look at the Leo galaxies with the dob, and the seeing was really poor. The triplet was very hard, and after struggling to find even Bodes nebula (usually easy) I gave up in favour of a nice warm house.

SR.

I'm in a dark corner of the viewing deck of the Marriott hotel in downtown San Francisco, and I can make out Rigel and Betelgeuse, Sirius and Procyon. The belt is not visible. Seriously. Jupiter is also bright. Sheesh, the skies back home are good :) Googled the SF Sidewalk Astronomers, and came up with broken links for 'events' ... :(  Down on the streets you see only a tiny patch of Sky over head. While San Fran is by far the best US city I've ever visited, give me the East Cork skies any night for using a scope (if you could get rid of the clouds with one of those guns from FLO ).

Archived